Question

Arc + S2 Displays Dolby Atmos, but why cant it display other Dolby fomats?

• 12 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Long time Sonos fan, and I have been using the Playbar since it first came out! One thing that always frustrated me about the Playbar was that I would have to go to the Sonos app, settings > system > about my system > scroll down, over lots of other so is speakers, to find my Playbar, and double check the audio in: to make sure it said “Dolby Digital 5.1.” There was not a quick way to check if it was getting a DD5.1 source or stereo. 

Well, now I have the new and beautiful Arc, and the S2 app. Lucky for me I have a Sony 950G TV that has eARC. It is able to pass Dolby Atmos from an Apple TV 4K and Xbox One X just fine. It is amazing  being able to see the “Dolby Atoms” logo on the controller screen, finally a quick way to see that it is getting a nice Dolby source! 

BUT why don’t we see all the other Dolby spruces and none Dolby audio formats too? I again keep finding myself  going back to the new S2 app, settings > system > about my system > scroll down to find my ARC, and looking at the Audio In to see what audio format something is. Example;

• Dolby Digital 5.1
  • Dolby TrueHD 7.1
  • Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 
  • Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
  • Stereo 2.0 
  • sure there are more...

With LPCM support coming in the future (yay for Nintendo switch owners) I am sure that will be displayed too next to audio in, so why can’t we have a logo for all of them on the main screen just like we do for Dolby Atmos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes! Please! It should always display the audio format, no matter what it is.

Even the Dolby Atmos logo doesn’t tell the whole story. It could be either TrueHD Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. 

In my setup, TrueHD was being compressed to DD+. I had to go to the “About My System” page to see that. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yeah, I would love this to be added to the “wish list” of app updates to S2, not sure of the best way to get that feature requested by the developers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also looks like Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 is another audio in source. So it is adding up the different types of audio in sources you can see depending on your media, and the TV (eARC/ARC) you might have...

Badge

Showing the specific TV output to Arc audio type in the TV display window of S2 app would make many of us very happy.  It really is a pain having the toggle all the way thru to About My System (and then refresh it often) just to find out what type of sound source my Arc is receiving at any given moment!  Please make this S2 app improvement soon!!