Answered

arc requires 2.4g, does TV have to be on same network?

• 11 March 2022
  • 3 replies

I was told by sonos support that arc requires 2.4 g wifi (approx 90 mbs) and will not work on 5g. Does that mean that my TCL TV needs to also be on 2.4g, i.e. the same wireless network.

if so, this seems like a major limitation, since the TV supports 5g.(approx 400 mbs). I understand 5g is better for 4K streaming, etc.

Please let me know if Im missing something.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 11 March 2022, 00:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There's no need for your TV to be on the same WI-FI band as the Arc.  All communication between the TV and Arc is via CEC over HDMI.

The 2.4GHz relates to wirelessly streaming to the Arc, for example to play music services using the Sonos app as controller.  It has nothing to do with your TV's connection to the Internet or to the Arc.

The Arc could, of course, connect by to your network by Ethernet instead of wirelessly.  (Just mentioned for completeness.)

And, incidentally, it is questionable whether 5GHz is 'better' than 2.4GHz. But as it's irrelevant to your question we won't go there.