Answered

Arc mutes when Apple TV is idle

• 20 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have a Sonos Arc + Sub connected to a Samsung TV/Apple TV setup. Whenever a show or movie is paused for several minutes, it seems that the Apple TV either unsyncs the Arc or tells it to go to sleep/mute. The Arc remains muted until I hit play, at which point the green light comes on indicating that it is unmuting. Most frustrating is that it takes a few seconds to fully unmute, so if I resume a show, the video will start but audio won’t kick in for those few seconds. 

I don’t think this is an Apple TV issue, since I did not have trouble with the previous speakers - albeit those were just a 2.1 wired Logitech speaker setup. And no, my Samsung does not have an eARC port. Perhaps it has something to do with the pairing of remote controls?

I could not find my answer anywhere, so any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 March 2021, 02:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

This is normal behavior. When you pause the audio, the Arc will go into idle mode after 3 minutes of no audio signal to minimize power consumption. When you resume a show, the Arc will detect the audio signal again and switch out of idle mode and begin playing audio. This process can take a few seconds. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en_US

Thanks for the info. It’s good to know that it’s not a setup issue, although in your link it mentions that the 3 minutes is “usually when the TV is OFF.” I wonder if perhaps the Arc is misinterpreting the TV as being off? Do you know if there is any way to disable/work around this? I understand the idea but it’s very annoying to have to wait for it to kick in every time I pause to go do something. 

thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is as expected, for the reasons described. My Playbars have done this since the day they were released.