arc + 2 sonos one sl rear surround + 2 ones as front stereo pair

• 2 September 2021
  • 5 replies

i have an arc and 2 one sl for rear i also have 2 stereo pair ones on the front i was wondering if it can be added to the arc as in guess 7.1 i was told is not available but would it be some day as a software update? as of now i use it as sync but the volume is only through the app so it can be at the same level if use it through the tv only the arc and surrounds functions is there any setup to control them synced through the tv remote as the arc and its surrounds?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not sure if that’s one big statement, or a question buried in a bunch of sentences, but no, the maximum number of speakers in a Sonos Home theater “room” is 5.1 (or 6, depending on how you count). 

The front speakers: Front Right, Front Center, and Front Left are all in the sound bar. If you’re using a Sonos Amp, then you have Front Right, and Front left, with a ‘faux” center channel made by combining those two front speakers. So if using a Sonos Amp, rather than a Sonos sound bar, you get 4.1 with the center speaker as a “faux”, rather than physical device.

Then you have two surround speakers

Finally for the .1 (or 6th, depending on your counting), you have the subwoofer.

There is no way to add speakers to that configuration at this point. You can “group” speakers in the Sonos controller, but any “grouped” speakers will be slightly behind those main speakers. And Sonos does not lay out a roadmap for us as to what they intend or don’t intend to do, likely so that their competitors can’t copy what they want to do, but that’s a guess. Unless it’s a huge partnership, or something gigantic like the split between S1 and S2, they just don’t tell us what they’re working on, or plan to work on. 

Oh, forgot to add the two extra “atmos” speaker in the Arc, which are upward firing speakers. But that’s still all enclosed in the Arc’s shell. There’s no way to separate out those extra speakers. Or add separate speakers and send that data to them. 

Complete understandable hopefully that feature will be added. Now for the grouping that’s what I usually do but my issue is not the behind in the sinc but the volume up and down when i use the tv remote only the arc setup moves i have to open the app to move the sliders together is there a way to get them both moving at the same time through the remote? And thanks for the reply 

Nope, unfortunately not. The remote only controls the “home theater” room, and not any “grouped” rooms. It’s been requested many, many times, but no indication that Sonos wants to implement such a thing. 

Thank you