Answered

Arc + 2 Amps + in wall speakers for 5.1 surround

• 5 September 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Can you have a Sonos Arc work with 2 sonos Amps as a single room within the sonos App?

I’ve read that you can do a 4.1 setup with just two sonos Amps but what about having a sonos Arc with 2 Amps?

If I have the appropriate full audio stream feeding into the Sonos Arc from the source device would this setup deliver dolby atmos?

One Sonos amp would power two sonance in wall front surround speakers with the sub output being active.  Then a second Amp would power two sonance in ceiling rear speakers as surround speakers (sub output disabled).

With the output from the source device plugging directly into the Sonos Arc and the 2 amps communicating wirelessly to the arc in the same room.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 September 2020, 00:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, the Arc is not a ‘center’ speaker, and there is no provision within Sonos software to drive a center speaker without having the right and left speakers included. The closest you can get is tha 4.1 System you referenced, where the center speaker is an interpolated speaker created by the front right and front left. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @wh1.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

The Sonos Arc is already acting as your front left, center, front right, and upward-firing speakers making it 3.0.1. Adding the Sonos Sub makes the set up 3.1.1. Adding the Sonos Amp with left and right channel speakers already complete a 5.1.1 surround setup. You can only add 1 Sonos Amp as surrounds since it is already acting as your rear left and rear right channel. Unless you are planning to add Sonos Ones, Sonos One SLs, Play 3s, Play 5s, etc. Then you would need 2 of the same model to act as your surrounds. Let me share with you some tips and guidelines about adding surrounds.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

I have a follow up question 

I have an Arc and I get it that it is effectively delivering 3.0.1

i have a pair of 2nd gen ones which I am using in other rooms but am considering using them as surround sound 

I followed the links you gave but they only tell me HOW to add the speakers, and I am not clear whether I will get 5.0.1 sound or whether the ones will simply be playing the left and right channels from a different point in the room

ps I understand that the system would not generate true 5.1 if the signal wasn’t coded as such at the outset