Apple TV Remote - IR Not Working Fix!

• 11 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi all! 

I’ve had my Sonos playbar and Play 1’s since 2016. I’ve NEVER had problems out of them until recently. I’ve searched high and low for answers and have even been dismissed by customer service (on my first and, subsequently, last call to customer service. My IR sensor wasn’t reacting to my Apple remotes volume changes. Well, I’m happy to tell everyone, I’ve figured it out. 

In your Apple TV settings, go to:

- Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > TV via IR

Apparently, this changed in a recent Apple TV update and was reset to Auto. This is the fix that worked for me so give it a shot! I really hope the hassle of using the Sonos app for tv volume is no longer an issue for us. 

Have an amazing day, everyone!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Jacktotum, welcome to Sonos Community!

Thank you for sharing your fix.

I hope this will help anyone who has trouble controlling Sonos with the Apple TV Remote.

Super Helpful!  Thank you! 

You just saved me from another frustrating session with the Sonos app. Checking "TV via IR" in the Apple TV settings was exactly what I needed! You're a legend!