Question

Apple TV audio issues using Beam

• 18 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello. Here is my set up:
1) Apple TV connected to Sony XBR-65X900F via HDMI - Audio output set to Dolby 5.1
2) Cable box connected to Sony via HDMI.
3) Sonos Beam connected via HDMI/Arc to Sony.

Here's the issue: I am getting great audio from Cable box and most things on Apple TV. Netflix outputs 5.1 through Beam (as per "About my Sonos")
iTunes movie rentals and certain TV shows output 5.1 and the audio is great.
Apps & SOME TV shows purchased on Apple TV do not output any sound to Beam.

It's very strange that 95 % of things I watch on the Cable box and Apple TV work and a few don't. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you.
Robb

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It's not clear in your post (or maybe just in my mind) which audio settings you've set. Was it the TV's audio settings, or the Apple TV's?

And I'd really like you to confirm your Apple TV's settings. Based on what you're saying about some shows not having any sound, I'm going to be guessing that you've got the Apple TV's audio settings at "Change Format: Off" which should be "On", and then "New Format: " should be "Dolby Digital 5.1".
Hello. The Apple TV is set to Dolby Digital 5.1.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
hmmm that's interesting I have a beam and also use an apple tv almost solely and i've never experienced that? Is it consistent with the same programs? maybe I could test it?
The sound is great when playing Netflix or renting a movie through iTunes. Buying kids programs/cartoons, through iTunes produces no sound. Apps on the apple don't produce sound either. Although when I pair my AirPods through Bluetooth, I can get sound from the app. It's so bizarre to have 95 percent of things have sound and then a few things that don't.
What is the TV audio settings set to?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The sound is great when playing Netflix or renting a movie through iTunes. Buying kids programs/cartoons, through iTunes produces no sound. Apps on the apple don't produce sound either. Although when I pair my AirPods through Bluetooth, I can get sound from the app. It's so bizarre to have 95 percent of things have sound and then a few things that don't.
That's bizarre I don't know what would cause that? I use apps and I have bought my 3 year old cartoons and stuff and I've always had sound I don't know what to even have you try.
The audio on the Apple TV is set to Dolby digital 5.1. The input on the Sony is set to Standard in the Dolby Dynamic Range