Apple TV 4K with Sonos One as speaker through AirPlay 2

• 15 August 2018
  • 11 replies

Have Apple TV 4K in bedroom. Can I buy a Sonos One and use it as a speaker for the tv by connecting it to the Apple TV with airplay 2?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It would be possible but if you want stereo you will need two one's, you would also need to set the output each time on Apple TV and in a lot of cases there is a delay when using that type of setup. For around the same price as the stereo pair you could get the beam, which is designed for tv use.
You would also need to set the output each time on Apple TV

Probably the most annoying about this setup. I’ve only had my Sonos One for 3 days, and each time I use my Apple TV 4K there are complications.. and I need to select the Sonos One or unselect and reselect to get audio playback working for the Apple TV 4K.
I’d love to fill my place with Sonos Ones’s (full surround setup, and more) but until it’s eaier to default playback to my Sonos setup. I will be holding back on the purchase.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
If you have a proper setup with a bar/beam/base and the ones as rears then it will work just fine. It's only if you are trying to connect solely through airplay with a speaker not meant to be used for the TV that complications will arise.
So no way to use a completely wireless setup from the Apple TV 4K to the Sonos at the moment?
Userlevel 7
@Ace184022 and Dcaugust

Here's your connection (however best option is a Playbar/Playbase/Beam):

1.Apple 4K TV to Tv via HDMI input
2. RCA audio out from TV to Sonos Connect_named as a room *
3. Sonos Connect grouped to Sonos One_named as room (better setup is Sonos One x 2 as stereo pair)

Pros
This will allow any source connected to TV to play audio through Sonos One(s).
Sonos One(s) can be upgrouped for music

Cons

Requires purchase of Sonos Connect (new or used)
You may expereince a lip sync issue :?

* Provided your TV has RCA audio out

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
As stated it is possible, but it won’t be a perfect solution and there may be issues to consider like syncing and setting the output. As you mentioned creating a surround system then that would require the main bar anyway and that would be the best option for what you’re trying to achieve
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I don't think a lot of the commenters have actually tried it. It works fine on my Apple TV 4k.
I also have stereo Homepods connected to the Apple TV by Airplay 2 for music. But i ran the Sonos Ones for about a week just for the heck of it and had no issues.
To be clear I use a Beam, rear Sonos Ones and Sonos Sub for Home theater and stereo paired Homepods in the living room and bedroom for music..
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Didn’t say it wasn’t possible, but it’s not designed for that use. Many have tried it, while it works for some it will have issues with others. If TV is the priority there are better options.
Hello. Clarification on this step please as I have the same issue!
2. RCA audio out from TV to Sonos Connect_named as a room
Does this mean don’t connect Beam to HDMI ARC and/or OPtical Audio? How do I connect Beam for Step #2 please! Do I need a special cord, hdmi splltter, hdmi switcher, hdmi arc converter or hdmi rca converter? I have a Sharp Aquos, specifics are appreciated. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Hi Partipilopf

While your issue may appear to be similar...what the original poster was trying to do is unique. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? :? You might start your own post as a better thought. As you said "specifics are appreciated". :8

Cheers!
Setting up single or dual Sonos One with your Apple TV 4K is working fine and (for me) without any lipsync issues, using the Apple TV apps. However using Airplay from your computer or phone to the Apple TV 4K with sound from the Sonos One is not working. Either just image or just sound, not both.