Answered

Apple TV 4K / Airplay and Playbase

• 23 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
Since Sonos has announced that Airplay 2 is coming in July and that the Playbase is supported - this should be an answerable question

Can anyone list the Pro's / Con's of NOT using the Optical Connection from the Playbase to the TV - but instead using the Apply TV Airplay 2 to transmit the sound to the Playbase ?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 26 June 2018, 04:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Why use the wifi bandwidth to carry the signal, when it's already there on the TV as part of the video signal? Physical connections are almost always (and maybe always? I can't think of a case when they aren't) better than over the air connections. Less prone to interference.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
In addition, will AP2 support surround sound?
I *think* I read something that said it would, but it's been a while. But that raises the side question as to would a Sonos speaker that isn't a BEAM or PLAYBASE even be able to handle the 5.1 signal? I'd be willing to bet no, but that's just a guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Why use the wifi bandwidth to carry the signal, when it's already there on the TV as part of the video signal? Physical connections are almost always (and maybe always? I can't think of a case when they aren't) better than over the air connections. Less prone to interference.
Good thinking here. Generally speaking, if you can use the wired connection it's going to be better.

The Optical connection, or any hard-wire between the video source and the Sonos home theater speaker, is always recommended. Yes, technically if you only ever use Apple sources (e.g. AppleTV) you would get sound for everything you care about by using AirPlay 2, but might see quality issues related to latency and drop-outs depending on what your home environment looks like. After all, AirPlay is dependent on your WiFi network. And, of course, what if you want to watch something that isn't from your AppleTV?

Also, when you have the Playbase wired into your TV or source, you can get Dolby Digita 5.1 sent to your surround sound speakers, as opposed to AirPlay 2, which will give you stereo.