App says ARC playing Atmos but it doesn’t sound like it

• 27 December 2021
  • 32 replies

Badge +2

I just bought a Sonos Arc to replace the Playbar. My current set up is Arc, Sub, Sonos 1 & One SL as surround speakers. 

After switching over to the ARC I can't really tell a huge difference from the Playbar. It sounds good, but so did my Playbar. I've tried some Atmos movies through my 4k firestick. When playing  atmos movie my Sonos 2 app is telling me it's playing Atmos (movies through HBO Max). I changed a setting on my tv which allowed the Atmos designation to show up on my Sonos 2 app. The fire stick also is set for best sound available. 

I’ve moved the ARC so it's about 4” below the tv and in front. It's about 5 feet from the ceiling (flat). ARC is about head level when sitting on couch which is about 8’ away or so. I tried true tuning. I've even played with the Highs setting for the Arc and never noticed anything by doing that. 

Do I need to unpair my rear speakers and just do speaker and sub?  I’m not sure if im missing something here. Im disappointed that the sound quality doesn't really feel upgraded considering the price I paid for a new Sonos Arc compared to the Playbar I used to have. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Badge

It is 1:18a.m. where I live. My wife would kill me if I fired up that system now;)  I’ll try in the morning & respond. Thanks to EVERYONE who has tried to help me. I deeply appreciate it. I sincerely do!!

Badge

Well, it’s official:  I AM getting sound out of the upward firing speakers on the ARC; I can hear it when I bend over & put my ear close. So WHY oh why am I NOT getting overhead sound?  I thought about getting a pair of ERA 300’s since they supposedly support Dolby Atmos, too, but they would only recieve rear sound signals, so IF they did produce overheard sound I would assume it would be minimal at best. I give up. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. This is a great community.

Userlevel 7

Well, it’s official:  I AM getting sound out of the upward firing speakers on the ARC; I can hear it when I bend over & put my ear close. So WHY oh why am I NOT getting overhead sound?  I thought about getting a pair of ERA 300’s since they supposedly support Dolby Atmos, too, but they would only recieve rear sound signals, so IF they did produce overheard sound I would assume it would be minimal at best. I give up. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. This is a great community.

While your ear is next to the upward firing drivers, if you adjust the Height Audio level from 0 to +10, can you hear the difference in volume?

Do you mind posting photos of your setup including the ceiling and sofa?

Badge

OMG!  There is NO difference in the upward firing speakers from negative zero all the way up to 10 !!  NONE!

OMG!  There is NO difference in the upward firing speakers from negative zero all the way up to 10 !!  NONE!

If that’s whilst playing Atmos Music audio, then perhaps check the Arc ‘room’ settings and ensure that ‘Spatial Music" audio has not been disabled.

If there’s an issue whilst playing Atmos TV audio and the ‘Now Playing’ screen badge confirms the audio source as Atmos, then perhaps go onto try a few different A/V Atmos sources and if still no joy with the height adjustment control in the Sonos App, then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the App and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

thats good, if you've identified the upfiring drivers are working, then we can love to the next potential issues.

the most likely reason you don't hear anything even when switching the height channel audio from minus 10 to plus 10 is because:

The audio is getting blocked: Make sure there is no furniture or objects above the soundbar that can block the audio - some people put their soundbar inside a shelf and it blocks the audio from exiting the shelf, some put it under the TV in a position where the TV blocks the sound - the upfiring audio travels in about a 45 degree angle from the soundbar 

Another issue can be your ceiling: Either the ceiling is too high, or the ceiling is not flat, or the ceiling is made from a sound absorbing material. The best type of ceiling for Atmos is a normal or low ceiling height, a flat ceiling and a wood/board type material. The worst  ceilings are high ceiling, vaulted ceilings and ceiling with sound deadening materials 

And the 3rd and last potential issue is your seating position. You may be sitting too close or too far from the soundbar, you should experiment to see if moving position might help. In my experience if I sit just two feet too far or too close I won't hear overhead effects, that's how crucial seating position with upfiring speakers 

I think you’re missing the other option, that a standard non-Atmos signal has been encoded in an Atmos container, and isn’t carrying all the correct data. I used to have this issue with pre-season football games where the encoded signal in the Dolby Digital carrier was only stereo. Extraordinarily frustrating.