Any word leaking about the center speaker in Era 300s?

• 5 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4

It has been three months since a feature request - mine and many others - was submitted to “turn on” the center drivers when the 300s are configured as surrounds as well as for Atmos. I would love to have the immersive audio where available and the 5.1 on non-immersive material. But I am not hearing 1) Not possible, or 2)Possible but not happening, or 3) happening ASAP.

I feel as though we are being ignored.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sonos has a policy of not discussing possible upcoming releases.  This is why you aren’t hearing anything from them on this subject. 

Userlevel 4

Maybe that’s why. But, they also likely have a policy of not discussing releases they have decided to dismiss. It shouldn’t take this long to decide yay or nay. 90 days should be enough for this, IMO.

Maybe that’s why. But, they also likely have a policy of not discussing releases they have decided to dismiss. It shouldn’t take this long to decide yay or nay. 90 days should be enough for this, IMO.

It’s more of a’ Never say Never’ policy.   If they stated they were not going to implement, the best that could happen is you buy the speaker anyway but aren’t happy, the worst is that you buy a competitor product. The decision has probably been made, at least for now, but stating “we aren’t going to do that” never really gains customer appreciation.

Besides, there certainly have been features that it seemed Sonos would never implement, like bluetooth and DTS, but did eventually implement when things changed.  Telling customers “never” then going back on that promise will just annoy customers, rather than potentially being happy when it happens.

Userlevel 4

I hear what you are saying, however I maintain that offering an explanation - mechanical or electronic or ? - for not honoring this feature is better for customer relations than corporate silence.

Not to mention the grand is burning a hole in my pocket. I, like most customers, want what I want, and now, please.😧

I hear what you are saying, however I maintain that offering an explanation - mechanical or electronic or ? - for not honoring this feature is better for customer relations than corporate silence.

Not to mention the grand is burning a hole in my pocket. I, like most customers, want what I want, and now, please.😧

Sonos very (very) rarely share their development roadmap in advance - However IMHO the Era-300 speakers sound just fine as they are and that’s whether they are used, standalone, grouped, stereo paired, or as bonded surrounds. I, for one, hope Sonos leave them exactly as they are right now. They’re still the best Atmos speaker on the market and if you want to spend your grand elsewhere, then obviously that’s your prerogative, but IMHO you will be missing out on one of the best Sonos speakers in their line-up. They sound great as HT surrounds and do not need the front tweeter enabled, which in my view will likely just ‘muddy’ and possibly narrow the effect of the rear channel audio.