Another DTS post

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Hello, maybe someone in 2018 has found the solution.
Do you know if are there any “boxes” like an audio extractor that convert an HDMI INPUT DTS in a optical output DD 5.1? Even optical in and out will be ok.
Unfortunately I only found extractor that separate video from audio from HDMI input to an optical output, but don’t do the DTS to DD transcoding.
It means that if the HDMI source is DTS, the optical output will be DTS, and if the HDMI source is DD 5.1, optical output will be DD5.1.

I’m searching for a converter that with DTS HDMI input, will output a Dolby Digital 5.1.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
wait till june 6 - new soundbar aanouncement with hdmi port
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Really????? From Sonos???
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Would be the best news since years... Only hope in 100% backward compatibility with Sub and play 1... Could change playbar for playbar 2.0, but not the entire 5.1 system
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Would be the best news since years... Only hope in 100% backward compatibility with Sub and play 1... Could change playbar for playbar 2.0, but not the entire 5.1 system

I'll eat my hat, and yours, if a new Playbar isn't compatible with current Sub and Play 1s
To be clear, we don't know that it's a soundbar, it's the forum's favorite speculation. (Not at all saying it's a bad one) We do know it is has hdmi though.

Either way, wait till the 6/6 announcement. Even if the current playbar is exactly what you need, there could be a price change after the announcement.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Yes I understand. At least 6/6 is very near. I already have the playbar and it is superb, but the new one could solve all DTS issue and will allow me to purchase the LG UP970 blu ray player with Dolby Vision but NOT DTS transcoding.
Let’s hope and pray. Anyway, good news.

IMHO since an HDMI input will be present, would be very strange it will not be a soundbar.

Maybe a soundbar that works as a center channel, that paired with 2 play 1 on the front and 2 play 1 on the back will be the perfect wireless 5.1... Just wondering...
Badge
If you want to solve for it now try looking at this: ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor / Splitter Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP v2.2 | 4K@60Hz | HDR | ARC | 3.5MM Analog Audio Output | Toslink Optical Audio Output | HDMI Audio Output | Model: VHD-UHAE2
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
If you want to solve for it now try looking at this: ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor / Splitter Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP v2.2 | 4K@60Hz | HDR | ARC | 3.5MM Analog Audio Output | Toslink Optical Audio Output | HDMI Audio Output | Model: VHD-UHAE2

Unfortunately seems not to be the solution.

Badge
DTS comes over the HDMI connection, gets extracted, and then is sent down the optical out. That is how I understand it to work.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Exactly. I need same kind of switch but in addition, with HDMI DTS IN, will output an optical Dolby Digital OUT.

I’ll wait till 6th June.

Until then, I’ll do the transcoding via PS4 and XBOX ONE that works well
Badge
You now have me re-thinking whether I am doing this right...ughh...lol!
Badge
Exactly. I need same kind of switch but in addition, with HDMI DTS IN, will output an optical Dolby Digital OUT.

I’ll wait till 6th June.

Are you transcoding on the fly?
Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’ll wait till 6th June.

Are you transcoding on the fly?

Yes, with PS4 PRO and XBox One X. They both convert DTS to Dolby on the fly if set to optical output and bitstream Dolby.
The problem is they don’t support Dolby Vision, so I cannot see UHD blu ray in Dolby Vision as well. Only Blu ray, and HDR10 UHD BLU RAY
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Just wondering... with this new speaker with HDMI, would be possible in your opinion to add Hi-Res audio support?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just wondering... with this new speaker with HDMI, would be possible in your opinion to add Hi-Res audio support?

Thanks

Very unlikely.

The only comment Sonos have made about Hi-Res is that the claimed benefits don't actually exist so it would seem unlikely they will change their minds
Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Very unlikely.

The only comment Sonos have made about Hi-Res is that the claimed benefits don't actually exist so it would seem unlikely they will change their minds

Even HDMI meaning absolute evil in the past... maybe they changed mind... btw if the new speaker is dedicated to HT, maybe new format will be available, I.e. DTS, DTS HD MA, DD+, DOLBY TRUE HD at least.. DTS:X and Atmos maybe... and since Sonos first aim is music over film watching, Hi-Res audio - better than CD quality - could be an option.

Imho, would be great if the new speaker was a new speaker that manage the audio signal, but unlike the playbar that is a soundbar for a 3.0 channel, the new one works only as center speaker, and allow to add several play:1 or Sonos One for example, to reach a full real 5.1 or 7.2 wireless system for home theatre