Question

Am I getting enough from my Play 5’s as rear speakers in my living room surround sound ??

• 28 December 2017
  • 2 replies

I love my Sonos Playbar, Sonos Bass & two play 5’s. I’ve owned & still own full Bose wired surround sound & they have been great for over 17 years. I’m wondering if I’m getting enough out of my play 5’s using them as the rear speakers in my surround system for my living room. While playing music it’s off the chain, but doesn’t seem to Dazzle me in 5.1 like the rear speakers of my Bose. Does Sonos lack the ability to control the output of the rear surround sound ?? Do I need to buy play 3’s & move my 5’s elsewhere ? Everyone says they love the play 1’s but I like the full sound of the 3’s & 5’s. Again as far as music they are wonderful but movies lack true surround sound. What gives ??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

First, yes, you can adjust the "volume" of the surrounds in the room settings of the app.

But no, in my opinion, there's not enough "surround" information to warrant using PLAY:5s. I'll repeat the oft said "PLAY:1s" are more than adequate for this purpose. If I were you, I'd buy a pair of Sonos Ones, use them as surrounds, and then move the PLAY:5s somewhere else to be used as a regular pair of music speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
There are some tweaks you can do to your surrounds apparently. From another thread seems you can tweak the volume or put them in full stereo. Not sure how much it will help.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3833?_ga=2.206843091.1167919591.1512106379-1926711429.1512106379

Might help.