Answered

Airplay 2 with Denon AVR

• 17 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Trying to understand how AirPlay 2 will work with Sonos. I have a Denon AVR x2400-h supporting AirPlay 2. If I would buy a Sonos one would my Denon receiver appear in my Sonos app? If so, can it be turned on as well? :)

If not, then I suppose I would use my Apple TV, though then the same question, would the Apple TV appear in the Sonos app? Or would I only be able to Control Sonos via Apple TV.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 November 2018, 03:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you're sending data to the Sonos via AirPlay 2, you're not using the Sonos app, so neither would appear. You'd be using AirPlay 2, so you might get better answers for your questions on an Apple forum.
Thanks for your response. Think this topic is in the right place as I am trying to figure out how Sonos handles Airplay 2.

I've bought an Sonos one. In the control settings on your iPhone you can select Airplay 2 devices. In the above case my AVR and Sonos one. If you then go to the Sonos app you can group other speakers to the Sonos one to play the music on all the devices. Pretty sure this can also be done from other apps on iPhone or iPad but I haven't tested that.
Thanks for your response. Think this topic is in the right place as I am trying to figure out how Sonos handles Airplay 2.

I've bought an Sonos one. In the control settings on your iPhone you can select Airplay 2 devices. In the above case my AVR and Sonos one. If you then go to the Sonos app you can group other speakers to the Sonos one to play the music on all the devices. Pretty sure this can also be done from other apps on iPhone or iPad but I haven't tested that.

The grouping in the Sonos app is for Sonos speakers only. Any sort grouping or playing audio in sync for non-Sonos speakers over airplay 2 will be done with Apple's software.

Please note that if you had a second Sonos speaker, you can airplay to 1 speaker, then group in the 2nd sonos speaker to play the airplay stream in sync.
Did this ever happen...the new AVR with Airplay 2 and a Sonos One? I am looking to upgrade my AVR to one with Airplay 2 and I would like to integrate it with a Sonos One using both as a multi room setup managed via an iPhone. I am concerned about sync when using both at the same time this way. (the house is small so any delay when using both will be noticable throughout the house)

Can you share your experience?