Question

Adding Sonos One or Sub to Beam when using TV Optical to HDMI adapter.

• 19 October 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Beam, and I have the audio hooked up from the optical out on my Samsung TV - through a Sonos optical to HDMI adapter.  I would like to add a Sonos Sub and 2 rear Sonos One speakers to the system.  

Will this work with my current configuration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MusicMan100.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to confirm if your set up will still work with a Sub and 2 Sonos Ones as rears when using the optical to HDMI adapter. Let me help you out with that.

Allow me to recommend the guide about TV requirements for Sonos home theater speakers. This guide provides the details on what is being left out when using the optical to HDMI adapter which is you will not be able to control your TV using voice when using the optical connection. Therefore, to answer your question, yes it will definitely work.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks very much for the quick answer - I do have one more possible wrinkle that I’d like to get confirmed before I purchase, based on some other Q&A in this forum.  My TV uses Ethernet, but the Sonos One satellite speakers will use WiFi.  The Sub can probably use either one.  I assume that Sonos handles any combination of direct and wireless connections when pairing them to the Beam.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MusicMan100.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

Yes, your Sonos Home theater speaker will handle direct control and communication towards the Sonos Sub and rear speakers wirelessly. If you have any intentions of connecting a Sonos device to your router via ethernet cable, I would suggest connecting the main home theater speaker connected to your TV then let the Sub and rear speakers connect wirelessly as they will communicate directly to the master home theater Sonos speaker.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,