Added SUB to PLAYBAR and don't think it has much improvement.

• 26 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Added a SUB to my PLAYBAR and don't think it really adds much improvement.

The Playbar is great. It is quite enjoyable as it is.

With the SUB on sale, I picked one up but I really don't see it as a MUST HAVE addition.

It is set up correctly.

I don't hear $600 noticeable enhancement for watching TV or listening to Music.

Anybody else feel the same way???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Gosh, no. When I added my SUB, it made the world of difference.

I guess we have different tastes. Or maybe different movies we watch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you run Trueplay on your setup?
Badge
Not sure about trueplay but i did go to room settings / advanced audio / sub settings and recalibrate audio.
New here, I am in the market for a play bar, my home is not very big, do you think a subwoofer is necessary?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not essential which is why Sonos offers it as an option instead of as a mandatory purchase.
Agreed. I was quite happy with my PLAYBAR by itself for over a year, before I broke down and got the SUB. Was even happier after, but the time before was excellent as well.
Userlevel 7
New here, I am in the market for a play bar, my home is not very big, do you think a subwoofer is necessary?

Hi Ratmann

If you watch a lot of movies via DVD/Bluray, Netflix, AppleTV or other streaming service the content typically has Low Frequency Effects (LFE) especially so with action movies then I say a Sub is worthwhile investment. If what you watch is mostly cable (i.e. general TV programing) then a Sub will offer very little benefit. The only other consideration for a sub would be if you intend to play music via a Sonos Playbar/Playbase or Beam then a sub would augment it quite well.

I don't know your finances but the Playbar/Playbase are not cheap. The Beam is a good alternative at half the cost. However, there are IMO other non-Sonos alternatives in the same price range as the Beam that may serve you better for general TV watching.

Cheers!