Answered

5.1 with Beam + Play:1 and 3rd party subwoofer via Connect Amp

• 18 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help.

I am looking to get a Beam to hook up with my TV and use my 2 existing Play:1 as surround channels.
I have a 3rd party subwoofer I want to use with this system, am I best in connecting a Connect AMP to the network and connect the subwoofer in to that?
Will the Beam see the Connect AMP as part of the system?
Basically I want the subwoofer to have the.1 channel in the 5.1

Many thanks for any help.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 February 2019, 22:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, wahla21. Thanks for the post. The Connect:Amp (third party sub) would function in the Sonos system as a "room" and not a component (i.e. Sub) available to be bonded to a Beam. This means that the third party subwoofer will only be "bonded" with the speakers connected to the Connect:Amp itself.
Hi there, wahla21. Thanks for the post. The Connect:Amp (third party sub) would function in the Sonos system as a "room" and not a component (i.e. Sub) available to be bonded to a Beam. This means that the third party subwoofer will only be "bonded" with the speakers connected to the Connect:Amp itself.

Ok thanks, how would I go ahead setting it up in a 5.1 system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
There is no way to integrate a third party sub into a Sonos 5.0 system. Essentially, the Connect:Amp has two "configurations":

Room - Two passive speakers + one powered subwoofer (All third-party speakers)

Surrounds - Two passive speakers set up as surrounds for a HT speaker (Beam, Playbar, Playbase)
When the Connect:Amp is setup as surrounds to a HT speaker, the Sub Out is disabled.

While you could group the Connect:Amp room (only the subwoofer) with a Beam, you'd then likely run into sync problems when watching TV. Because of this, it's something I wouldn't recommend.
Ok much appreciated.
So basically the only way to get a sub acting as the .1 in a 5.1 config is to use the Sonos sub?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
No problem! You are correct. We are always looking for new ways users want to configure and use Sonos, so I am happy to tag this topic as a feature request and forward it along to the team for consideration and visibility if you'd like.
Yes please