Question

5.1 TV passthrough.

• 13 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
Can i get up to date list of tvs that pass through 5.1 sound from hdmi to optical.:)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I don't think there's a definitive list available. Maybe check your current model or if you're thinking of upgrading then narrow it down to two or three and check those. Most new Sony sets pass through if that helps in any way.
Badge +2
Just bought a panasonic TX55DX650B and this sends 5.1 through via bitstream but there is a lip sync issue, strangely this lip sync only happens on hd channels.

I have tryed to correct this by the audio delay setting in the sonos app but cant get it close.

I have worked around this by getting an optical switcher and in effect by-passing the tv.
Annoying though as if it worked through tv the cabling would be a lot tidier and i wouldnt have to keep switching channels on the optical switcher.

Wish i had known about this before i bought tv but as always you only find these things out afterwards.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
What Set Top Box are you using?
Badge +2
Sky hd box which i have set to dolby digital over optical output in settings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Have you tried the audio delay settings within the Sky box? I'm sure I had similar issues a couple of years ago. Right now I have a Sky HD box, PS4 Pro & Apple TV all connected to my Sony TV (5.1 pass through). I don't have any lip sync issues with any of those but do have huge delays when streaming through the built-in Amazon video app. The Grand Tour is ridiculously out of sync.
Badge +2
Have tried that also but no luck, seems like im out of options and will have to stick with optical switcher which i have to say works for me perfectly.
Next time i upgrade my tv i will make sure it passes through 5.1 dolby so i can cut down on the amount of cables.
Thanks anyway.