Question

5.1 surround passthrough to optical

• 1 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi, I currently have a PLAYBASE connected to an older TV. I am going to purchase a pair of PLAY.1's, as well as the SUB to achieve 5.1 surround. I am also planning to purchase a new TV, but I am really struggling to find which TV's are able to pass the 5.1 surround audio signal out through optical to the PLAYBASE. I am mostly concerned about Apple TV, and my Blu-ray player (connected to the TV via HDMI).
I cannot find any definitive answer on which TV's are capable of this. Even the SONOS forum with a list of TV's is a very incomplete list. I am looking at the following TV's in the 65-75" range. If any of you have these, or any recommendation on a TV that is capable, please let me know.

LG - 65UJ6540
LG - 75UJ657A
LG - 65SJ850A
Samsung - UN75MU800DFXZA
Samsung - UN65MU800DFXZA

Thanks

Bob

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/home-theater-and-television-recommendation-megathread-6735001
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Search rtings.com for the TVs you're looking at. They tend to list if they passthrough or not.
Userlevel 1
I have a Sony XBR-55X900E that works fine with optical pass through. I'd imagine the 65" version (XBR-65X900E) would work as well.