5.1 for Music?

• 23 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 90 replies
Hi,

Sorry I am a newbie. In our 6 Meters x 8 Meters Family room we have 2 Play5's and a Sub which sounds just amazing when we play music.

In our TV room which is about 4.5 Meters x 5 Meters we have a Playbar and a Sub. I am now thinking of adding in 2 x Ones for surround sound. My questions on this setup are :

1) Does a surround sound system make a difference when listening to music?
2) I think this has been answered elsewhere but does anyone know or #Sonos #FeatureRequest if the Ones can be used with Airplay once they are bonded to the HT?
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 23 July 2018, 13:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1) No. The music will still be stereo. Best music reproduction will be when you set the relevant setting in the room settings to "Full" for music playback. Music will be played via the surrounds /Sub much more than the Playbar - Music still plays through the Playbar though. It's a pretty capable set-up for music

2) No. I believe Sonos:1s used as surrounds cannot use AirPlay - though if you got a Beam or Playbase that would work with AirPlay
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Thank you!
Note: I occasionally will play Dolby Digital CDs/DVDs on my player, which feeds the TV set, and the TV set feeds my PLAYBAR and corresponding 5.1 surround system, and make it work that way.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
In a 5.1 setup does the sub take over bass duties from the Playbar & surrounds to free them up for other frequencies or just one set & not the other?

IE: In full mode sub stays bonded to playbar and Play 5 rears play as a stereo without sub.