Answered

4.1 with surrounds unwired to TV?

• 5 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Greetings,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up a 4.1 system *wirelessly* with a Sonos Connect and a Sonos Amp? To clarify: The Connect would be wired (through a separate amp) to my tower speakers, sub, and TV. The Sonos Amp would be wired to my surrounds only (i.e., not wired to TV). Can the Connect and Amp coordinate surround sound for TV wirelessly in this way? Would be grateful for any guidance.

Many thanks,

a sonos newbie

icon

Best answer by John B 5 December 2020, 20:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  The Connect has been replaced by the Port,  but the answer is the same. The Connect / Port has no role in a Sonos home theater setup. 

You need a Sonos soundbar or Amp for the front, and an Amp or pair of matching Sonos speakers for the rear speakers.

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply. Apologies in advance for any poorly conceived questions. So would this work as a 4.1 surround system, with the two amps connecting *wirelessly*?

FRONT (with Sonos Amp #1)

TV, 2x third-party towers, 1x third-party sub

BACK (with Sonos Amp #2)

2x third-party surrounds

Much gratitude for your guidance on this 🙏

Brian

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply. Apologies in advance for any poorly conceived questions. So would this work as a 4.1 surround system, with the two amps connecting *wirelessly*?

FRONT (with Sonos Amp #1)

TV, 2x third-party towers, 1x third-party sub

BACK (with Sonos Amp #2)

2x third-party surrounds

Much gratitude for your guidance on this 🙏

Brian

Yes, that would work fine.   

Thanks, jgatie! Big help

Indeed that is fine. You could use a third party subwoofer or a Sonos Sub.