Question

2nd TV in bedroom no 2nd playbar best way to connect ?

• 15 October 2017
  • 14 replies

Hi i wonder if someone can give me best advice:

i have in the front room
TV - Playbar - (Play 5 GEN 2) - 2 x Play 1

in kitchen 1 x play 1

in main bedroom (1 x play 3) NO PLAY BAR (Not currently working with TV)

in bathroom 1 x play 1

daughter room 1 x play 5 gen 1

the WIFI is not coping with all the devices very well so i wanted to know if i am better off buying a BOOST to help with the connections OR should i buy AMP to help with the WIFI and a way to connect the 2nd tv to sonos?

ie is there a way to help with WIFI and connect 2nd tv to sonos system please?

i hope someone can help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

With that many devices, a BOOST would help, for sure, and at the least remove all the traffic from your local WiFi. I’m not a fan of the CONNECT:AMP as a connection to a TV, due to the latency of the analog connection in preparing the signal for streaming. But your experience could be different, and you could easily test it without spending anything for a new Sonos device. You already have the PLAY:5, disconnect then as rears from the living room temporarily, and string an output from the bedroom TV to the Line in on a PLAY:5, which would give you the same delay as plugging in to the CONNECT:AMP

The part that confuses me is how the CONNECT:AMP in the bedroom would do anything at all
to the entire network, unless your router was there and the CONNECT:AMP was directly connected to it.
Hi thank you for the detailed reply, the router is in the bedroom, I also wanted to keep the play 5 in the front room if possible as it has been mounted to the wall....

So would the amp be the best / most cost effective way to go ?

Thank You
Best? No. I'd be an advocate of getting a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE in the second bedroom.

But would it work? Sure. As I say, you have the potential of being disturbed by the lag that the analog in induces, or not. So, putting the CONNECT:AMP in the bedroom, connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable would be effectively the same as getting a BOOST, and then you could connect the TV to the analog input on the CONNECT:AMP and have it distributed to whichever speakers you want, either Sonos speakers, or speakers attached to the speaker posts on the CONNECT:AMP. But if you're not connecting speakers to the posts on that device, and only using Sonos speakers, then I'd go with a CONNECT, rather than a CONNECT:AMP. Less cost, does effectively the same thing, without powering an set of other speakers.
Great replies really helpful thank you, I don’t have any other speakers in the house except Wi-fi sonos....

I have spent a lot of money on sonos already so trying to keep extra costs to a min...

Just so o have got it right would the boost connect the 2nd TV to the network and help with the lag ?

Even tonight in the main room speakers are cutting in and out as the Wi-fi lags

Thank You
No, a BOOST doesn't have any analog audio inputs in for the TV to plug in to . You want to get a CONNECT (and not the CONNECT:AMP, since you're not driving outside speakers).

A BOOST only has ethernet connections, which allows it to connect to your router, and then generates a SonosNet signal, for all other Sonos devices to connect to, so that they're not sharing the same bandwidth as your own wifi signal. Think of it as a "parallel" signal. Still uses the DHCP from your router, but it separates the music bandwidth from what your wifi devices are using.

Since you want to connect the TV to the Sonos system, a CONNECT is the device you want. You can connect it to the router with an ethernet cable, and it will create the SonosNet system, just like a BOOST does, but it has an analog input, which the BOOST doesn't. Then you can connect (using RCA cables, be sure to check the back of your TV!) the TV to the CONNECT, and get the audio that way.

Make sense?
That is perfect, exactly what I needed to know
THANK YOU 🙂
Hi I purchaed the Connect it has optic digital audio and so does the tv... perfect ? you have been really helpful. Thank You ?
Note that the CONNECT has an optical out. Not an optical input. This is why I referenced the RCA cables above. The input on a CONNECT is analog, not digital.
Noted ? Thank You, RCA will work great.. can I ask do you think the lagging audio / sound problem will be fixed completely by the connect ?
No, absolutely not. The lag will occur with any analog input into the Sonos ecosystem. You can't change that. The only "non-lag" items are the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE.

Any analog input has to be converted to digital, and buffered, so that it can play simultaneously across all Sonos devices. There's just no way of getting around that on an analog input.
I explained my question badly, by lag I should have said, will the connect help stop the audio drop out that I am getting right now with all the speakers.

Eg right now in the front room the speakers are stopping and starting, the audio, is this the WiFi not coping?

If it is the WiFi will the connect fix that problem please ?
Ah, I see. My apologies for not understanding.

It's possible that wiring a speaker or a CONNECT to the router will help with the cutouts. It does set your system on a "parallel" wifi channel, which is a mesh network maintained by the Sonos devices. So if your normal wifi is having trouble reaching the furthest away speakers, it might help. When you do connect a device with an ethernet cable, you definitely should go in to the app and remove the wifi credentials from the speakers (there's a "remove" button in there, I'm told). This will keep the speakers from waffling back and forth between the SonosNet and your local wifi, and should make them more stable.

But that's only if the problem is the Sonos speakers having trouble staying connected to wifi. There's actually other potential issues that could cause drop outs on speakers, including Wifi Interference FAQ and duplicate IP address issue.

I'd certainly read the link I put there for the wifi interference, but if that doesn't fix it, you could reset your local wifi system with a restart. Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router is back up and functioning, plug in one Sonos device. If you happen, at that point, to have one connected to the router with an ethernet cable, plug that one in first. Wait a minute or two for it to finish booting, and move on to the next Sonos device, and plug it in to power as well. Do each one, waiting long enough for it to finish booting before moving on to the next. This will cause each speaker to request a new IP address from the router, and since the router has been restarted, the IP list will be "fresh" and not hand out any duplicates.

For the future, if you wanted to avoid the potential of duplicate IP addresses, you should sit down with your router's manual and figure out how to assign reserved IP addresses in the router's system, and do that for all your devices.

Hope this isn't too much data, and that it helps.
You are a complete star ? your replies have been in depth and very very helpful thank you Excellent Support
Laugh. You're more than welcome. I just hope it works for you the way you want it to.