Skip to main content

Sonos Ace USB C to C third party cables

• 25 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Will third party USB C to C cables such as AudioQuest Cinnamon work with the new Sonos Ace to listen to music through an iPhone 15 Pro Max?

I can’t find anything to show that the usb-c to usb-c cable is anything other than a standard cable. See this accessory link:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/sonos-ace-charging-cable

So without the Ace having been released into the ‘wild’, at this point, my own thoughts are that your AudioQuest cable should work in the same way as the standard cable supplied.

Thanks Ken. I couldn’t find any info either. I spoke to an audio quest dealer yesterday and they have tried to get insights / confirmation from Sonos and they have had no response.  

Thanks Ken. I couldn’t find any info either. I spoke to an audio quest dealer yesterday and they have tried to get insights / confirmation from Sonos and they have had no response.  

No I’ve looked about too, but I can’t discover anything much about it either, but my guess is it will work because the article here (below) mentions that the Ace will support the Apple lossless ALAC codec (ALAC doesn’t run over Bluetooth) - so I’m assuming that’s over a USB-C to USB-C cable connection, as most Apple devices now use that port on all their latest products. Plus the £15 price point on the Sonos cable replacement, seems to infer there’s nothing special about it. Even Apple’s AirPods don’t support lossless ALAC and would need a wired connection.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sonos-ace-vs-airpods-max-what-are-the-differences

Anyhow, it makes me think (er… hope) any USB-C to USB-C cable will work to charge and play audio between the source device and Ace too . I guess we shall just have to wait and see though… the cable supplied also does not look very lengthy to me either and I think I’d prefer something a little longer. It’s hard to judge until people get there hands on these things and post detailed reviews etc.