Question

sonos ace bad flat sound (not rich ) quality

I really was excited about the product, since the other products of sonos family are really great and all as far as audio quality. 

I'm not happy with the sound experience. ITS NOT ALL ABOUT NOISE CANCELATION,  YOU FORGOT THE AUDIO QUALITY. expected more. I had all the samsung buds, Sony over the ear and In ear, beats in ear buds ... and I wanted something to beat all of them as far as quality, richness of the sound, how more loud can they get, make me start jumping and dance and I put all my expectations on a first time headphones product of sonos. 

I had no problem updating from my phone. Happened fast. Less then 10 min . It would be nice to have a usb c adapter to that aux cable you put in the box!

Android app and EQ need improvement, a lot . 

I LOVE MUSIC  , I LOVE RHYTHM,  I LOVE GETTING LOST IN MY MUSIC , I LOVE MESSING AROUND WITH MY EQ OF THE MUSIC , BE ABLE TO MAKE IT LOUDER and that's  not a way to achieve with Ace . 

Apologies, Sonos for the comment but .... 

Thank you!

Edit add: when connected usb-c to phone the volume is really low .

11 replies

Ok, sonos . Let's work true this together.

I start looking stuff online. About the usb-c connection and low volume. 

So I installed this app android ( Neutron Player) . 

After that I lent to settings -> audio hardware->  direct USB access  click right next to it to allow the function and the volume is louder but work only from the app.

I guess it has something  to do with the usb c connection and charging from the phone as well Allow direct access to USB device to bypass

possible OS output format limitation.

So sonos I'm waiting and expecting an answer from you and some type of fix for this. Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

lots of other headphone makers who aren’t new to this game and willing to trash their user base.  I’d look elsewhere if I were looking.

Badge

When I first received my Sonos Ace I turned them on and started to listen to a couple of familiar tracks and was somewhat underwhelmed with the audio quality. I had to jump on some work calls so I set them aside to come back to later… after the initial update (or maybe it was the second update) they seemed to improve considerably for me (to the point I was confused how they sounded so lacking initially). I typically prefer open backed headphones for their open soundstage (Grado are my favorite headphones) and I use closed back headphones so I don’t annoy others around me and for the noise blocking / cancellation capabilities. I feel the Sonos Ace are the closest I’ve come across to open backed headphone sound in a closed back form which I’m stoked about. So what may sound flat to you came across as neutral and open to me.

Hello hello. I got my Ace yesterday and I must say I like them. Yet, I am not impressed with the sound. I love its default bass and treble.  But there is nothing in between! Mid-range is non-existent. I like to listen to rock and bass and vocals are great. But hi-hats and guitars riffs are just not there. I am hoping that something can be done about this with some firmware updates. 

It sound very bad, not the quality I expected from Sonos. I return it the next day. 

If your using spotify or any other music apps make sure the EQ is set to Normal NOT  (predetermined EQ like rock,  electronic etc)  using basic bass and treble are fine through the sonos app however.  Also turn off (normalise sound) within the spotify app etc.

Mine went from average to quite impressive sound quality!

I,m using TIDAL max (the best sound quality for SONOS equipment) I hope next time will improve.

I’m having similar issues. The sound quality is very muddy and too bass heavy. I’ve listened to a variety of tracks and genres, tried turning off the loudness setting and adjusting the EQ. But they don’t sound right. They are not what I was expecting at all. I will try for another day to see if there are any improvements. If not, I will need to return them as I find I just can’t wear them for listening to music as it feels too painful in terms of the bass and lack of mid and terrible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m having similar issues. The sound quality is very muddy and too bass heavy. I’ve listened to a variety of tracks and genres, tried turning off the loudness setting and adjusting the EQ. But they don’t sound right. They are not what I was expecting at all. I will try for another day to see if there are any improvements. If not, I will need to return them as I find I just can’t wear them for listening to music as it feels too painful in terms of the bass and lack of mid and terrible.

Edit - I see this is about Ace! 

We clearly have different sound likings.    My initial thought was that they didn't have enough bass for my liking so I had to jack it up to bass 6 and 4 for treble.  Loving them now

Just make sure you don't have any EQ set on your streaming service and turn off sound normalisation within spotify or whatever app your using did absolute wonders for me

Thank you! I tried adjusting the EQ settings in Sonos and it sounds much better. The loudness setting seemed to make it sound muddy. But keeping that on and adjusting the EQ really made a difference. Thanks for the tip.