Skip to main content
Question

ACE treble issues

Hi, I received my pair of ACE yesterday and have noticed a crackling sound that follows the rhythm of the music when playing at high volume. Compared to my Bose Quiet Comfort, which can handle the same music and volume without any problems, is there something wrong with the ACE or do they have a volume limitation? I tested and discovered that it has to do with the treble settings. Lowering it makes the problem disappear, but at the same time, it loses the same crispness in the sound.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Hi, I have them and discovered that is the treble!! Had to put mine to 0 and sometimes-1! Thought it was the bass since I like heavy bass and have the setting on 7!! But turns out it’s the treble that it’s making the cracking or popping sound!! 

I’m having the same issue when playing music at high volume with lots of bass. Big disappointment!! I have several Sonos products and seriously didn’t expect this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

They rushed the software and firmware out the door unfinished.  Any shock that they may have also rushed the phones out too?  This is a company making terrible product decisions at this point and willing to sacrifice features and reliability for a quick buck.

I bought a pair and i have the same issue in both 
Ive tried to contact sonos support but unable 

I bought a pair and i have the same issue in both 
Ive tried to contact sonos support but unable 

My Sonos Ace here works great with no issues. Have you checked to see if there are any further firmware updates? If there aren’t any, try the headphones connected to a different Bluetooth TX, also remove and reseat the ear-cushions.

I would also suggest a factory reset, but before doing that, I would perhaps speak with Sonos Customer Support via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Badge

Yes same here: plops, crackles at high volume. Setting Treble on +3 makes it already worse, higher and it is constant clipping, plopping, ticking. Terrible. The latest x.9.5 firmware does not fix this… 😤

Yes same here: plops, crackles at high volume. Setting Treble on +3 makes it already worse, higher and it is constant clipping, plopping, ticking. Terrible. The latest x.9.5 firmware does not fix this… 😤

I’m certainly not experiencing this issue with my Sonos Ace, but it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter. 

Badge

Connect with any bluetooth device, lets say an Apple iPhone, start Spotify, choose a rock album (try it with the new Deep Purple for instance, it is a very good album), set the EQ in the Sonos app to treble +5, now be sure to turn the volume to complete max(!) There you go, clicks and clips. Any ACE will do this, also with the latest 2.9.5 firmware. It can’t handle the signal. If you say you do not have this, you simply haven’t tried…

@FRans Geest,

Just to report I do NOT have this issue with my Ace… and I have tried. Have you tried a different Bluetooth TX?

Badge

Well, if not there was clearly a big bunch of defective headphones sold…

I tried the Ace at full volume and opted to play the Deep Purple album you mentioned - I tried treble at various levels and no clicking noise or any problems seen with the audio here - maybe try a different paired device and if no joy with that then maybe see if the next Sonos update might fix it. If not then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.