Suggestion for Mac users if music won't index

• 30 June 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m on a Mac running Monterey and still using Sonos 1 speakers, which I’ve had for years. Yesterday I upgraded the app (Sonos1 - not Sonos 2) to 11.9 and after adding some music to my library, Sonos would not index my music folder (on a external USB).

I spend 20+ minutes on chat with “tech support” who could not find an issue, even after my sending them a diagnostic report.

Long story short - if your having this issue, go into your System preferences, select the Full disk access folder in the left column, scroll thru the list and make sure  SonosLibraryServer - is turned on.

For some reason it appears to get installed, but not turned on. Even after giving Sonos system permissions whenever I was prompted, that particular portion of the app still needed to be checked on manually. Once I did that, the issue was solved.

Hope this helps anyone that might be having a similar music indexing issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

What are Sonos 1 speakers?

Sonos has made the PLAY:1, and the Sonos One, but so far, no ‘Sonos 1’.

It certainly seems odd that the SonosLibraryServer isn’t properly turned on. Did you try a delete and a new install of the S1 software? I’d think that the install process should both install that file, as well as provide access to it. It makes me wonder what happened on your machine to turn it off. 

In any case, I’m happy you both resolved your issue, and kindly posted about it for others to gain benefit. 

Airgetlam,

Sorry if I was not being technically correct. I was referring to the PLAY:1 for the speaker, and Sonos S1 for the app. Hope that clears things up.

Jim