successfully playing my roon files (even 5.1) and visuals thru sonos

• 27 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4

This week, I installed a new Mac mini to house my Roon Core. I configured my old mini as a Roon Bridge. I connected the HDMI out from the Bridge mini to HDMI 2 input of my Sony TV (Apple TV is on HDMI 1).

This setup allows me to play 2.0 and 5.1 music from my Roon Core through my ARC, surrounds, and sub 3. The HDMI input signal includes the video portion of Roon, so I can access full info, including lyrics, on the 55” Sony while playing my music. A cheap Bluetooth keyboard with track pad lets me control it all from my couch.

This install is somewhat like using the HDMI inputs on my TV as a preamp. I have an Oppo 103 set up on HDMI 4. It all works well. 

Not sure why  it took me so long to figure out how to do this, but it has increased my appreciation for my Sonos system. Now, if only something is done about the center tweeter on the 300s!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jonmichael 

Thanks for your post, and thanks for sharing your methodology!