Answered

S1 and S2 problems

• 22 December 2023
  • 8 replies

. I have been using Sonos for 14-15 years, so I have a legacy system, with 2 Connect Amps and a Play 5; but also Playbar connected to 2 Play 1s and a One. Waiting in the wings are an Era 100 and a Sub Mini, and these have pushed me to split my successfully running S1 system, so as to have an S2 new setup on the ground floor, with Playbar, Play 1s and One, introducing the new kit, and a revised S1 system using the legacy kit for now on the top floor. I believed I had removed the legacy items, but I am driven mad by the setting up of S2, which complains that the relevant items are not on the same network, insisting on reboot of the router, and each component, leading to a process to Join Sonos net - but this fails, with the terribly helpful advisory message to ‘try again later’ - of course nothing changes, and I am left grinding my teeth, with nothing working at all. One thing - at some point a few iterations ago, one of the Connects was shown still listed, and I took the option to simply Hide this - would this be getting in the way although it seemed to be removed successfully? I am not certain if the network wave and is an issue, but I can see the network as active, but not the items linked to it. I am sure there may be other issues, but I feel blinded by the lack of ultimate guidance. I feel I can’t start on S1 setup until this is resolved - and of course this is not the best time to have set off on this task, so thanks for any help you can provide! Season’s greetings, Martin

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 December 2023, 15:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Have you tried powering off all your S1 products? Installing the S2 App on your ‘mobile’ controller device and then creating a new S2 system with that newer App and adding the Era 100/Sub-Mini to that setup.

When complete then power on the S1 products and use the S1 App for those and continue to use the S2 App for your new Sonos system.

If you’ve not yet tried that approach, then perhaps give that a try and see if it then works for you.

Thanks for the prompt suggestion. All S1 items are off. I agree that I should be able to add the Era, but I can’t get an S2 system running yet. And yes I have the S2 app running on this iPad. 

Thanks for the prompt suggestion. All S1 items are off. I agree that I should be able to add the Era, but I can’t get an S2 system running yet. And yes I have the S2 app running on this iPad. 

So are you adding it to an existing S2 system, or creating a brand new one? What are the Era lights showing and is the WiFi network in keeping with the system setup requirements.. such as 802.11b/g/n compatible and security mode WPA 2 Personal AES with just one DHCP server on the Subnet?

Hi Ken. Thanks, I would like to add it to the new S2 system, but at present that is simply resistant, and will lead me through the loop of reboot router, power off/on components, attempt to join the Sonos network, fail, ‘try again later’ - having gone through this a couple of frustrating times, it is clear that there is something specific (but what?) causing the issue. There is no point yet addressing the Era, as the main S2 is just not there yet. I will need to check up on the network characteristics, but it was working fine on Wednesday, will partial upgrade - the One was upgraded - just not now! Thanks, Martin

I have just tried a new attempt, and the Connect which I believe I had removed is still showing, and so likely the cause of the issue:

But… how can I go through the removal process again? It is currently unplugged. Thanks! …. 
so I went back to the removal page in Sonos, and followed the removal process again. It seems - again - to have worked. So back to the interminable loop, twice, to get to Nah! Try again later. Quit, sat down with a drink, and on a second iPad, see that the components are there in their rooms! Search and find, but cannot play. Seems Boost is not seen. Go through again, and it all falls apart again. Enough for today! Cheers!

Moderator edit: removed picture with multiple serial numbers

It looks like you actually tried to upgrade, rather than create a new S2 system and got yourself in a ‘slight’ pickle.

So did you choose to upgrade your existing S1/S2 compatible devices then? That’s what it looks like and if so, was that your original plan?

I would have perhaps kept it a little more simple and just created a new S2 system, rather than starting with an upgrade from S1 to S2. Then maybe decided later to add the S1/S2 compatible devices to the new system, but it’s however you want to go about this. 

These things may depend on whether you planned to keep your playlists and favourites etc. from your original S1 setup too. If your Connect is a gen 2 (March 2017 onwards, IIRC?) then you could simply upgrade all to S2. The Playbar and Play:1’s are certainly compatible with S2.

NB .. the Sonos Boost is S2 compatible too, but the Era devices do not run on SonosNet but can work alongside it on your own WiFi network - you might need to add the WiFi SSID/credentials though to your existing Sonos Household, if you’ve not done that already, or during its setup?

Hi Ken. Many thanks again. Yesterday pm, I had another attempt ending in ‘Try later’ - then I found the system spark into life! Played some stuff from Spotify, then all but Playbar dropped out! Had a few more circuits today, and it now seems back in operation again, but I will be checking to see that the components do not drop out again. I think S1 setup can wait until after Christmas! Will also attack the Era when I am rested! Best wishes for Christmas! Martin

Hi Ken. Many thanks again. Yesterday pm, I had another attempt ending in ‘Try later’ - then I found the system spark into life! Played some stuff from Spotify, then all but Playbar dropped out! Had a few more circuits today, and it now seems back in operation again, but I will be checking to see that the components do not drop out again. I think S1 setup can wait until after Christmas! Will also attack the Era when I am rested! Best wishes for Christmas! Martin

Ah Merry Christmas to you too Martin, if you do have any further issues with your setup, then perhaps just post back here and I (and I’m sure others around here too) will try our level best to try to help.