regarding spotify and adblock

• 26 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Ok, so say you use an adblocker that happens to also block spotify ads. I’m wondering if, when playing sonos (roam) from your computer inwhich you have the adblocker installed, will it still have the error of randomly pausing when an ad is meant to play, or will the adblocker resolve this?
ive noticed a lot of people having issues with spotify and i want to know if this will happen to me too.

edit: for anyone else who mightve been wondering, i just tried it after finally getting my speaker set up and. well. yeah, the adblock doesnt work. it stops randomly and then plays the ad when you pause then unpause. honestly, thanking god i got this thing as a gift and didnt spend any money on it because the general consensus, which i am starting to lean toward, is that sonos products are garbage.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The way Sonos works, by getting a simple data stream from a service provider, means that there is no way for a local device, even if it were in the data stream ( which your controller isn’t, the data goes straight from the server to your speakers) would know if there was an ad being played. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d suppose you could block some of the communications between the controller and your service. How effective and what issues it would cause is an interesting topic. I’ve done it with all my systems here and found settings I was happy with, trading functionality for privacy.

I have had the best luck using two different options, a DNS filter at the network level and rules in my firewall (divert/spoof or block.) Your chosen filter and firewall forums would be the place to discuss either option.