New Router connection problems

• 14 February 2024
  • 4 replies

I get my full fibre broadband via a router supplied by my provider Utility Warehouse. When connecting to my playbar (which is connected via wifi and not ethernet) via my phone, after around 10 minutes the connection is lost and all devices on the network also lose connectivity. Connectivity can only be restored by restarting the router. I spoke to Sonos support who advised that basically the spec of the router is poor and the only way to resolve the issue is to upgrade the spec of my router or use ethernet.

Ethernet is not an option and having spoken to UW they say their router should be fine. UW did say they could supply me with an Amazon Eero 6 Amazon eero Pro 6E — Wi-Fi 6E Router which effectively ups the spec (for an additonal £5pm).

so my question is

1. should i just get an ethernet connection?
  1. go with the Eero 6?, or
  1. other?

TIA

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d lean to the Eero 6 myself. More and more devices are going to be supporting the 6E modes and you’ll be ready.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I would get rid of that ISP router in a hot second, the Eero sounds like an ok deal except why do you have to rent it?

My network provider says if I rent it they can give full product support but if I purchase the eero separately they can’t. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My network provider says if I rent it they can give full product support but if I purchase the eero separately they can’t. 

Wow. If their “full support” is similar to what you got for their default router, not sure what value I would put on it.