Answered

my sonos start playing music in the middle of the night

• 6 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I have recently have had someone play music from my sonos in the middle of the night. Everyone was asleep so it wasn’t anyone in the house. Can someone that doesn’t have the app somehow access my sonos speaker through AirPlay? If so, how do I prevent this from happening. 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 6 March 2024, 01:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

To access your Sonos via AirPlay they would also need to be on your network. So as a precaution I suggest you change your networks password.

Have you checked to see if any timers/routines are set via a voice assistant? Also is the music playing via streaming service or downloaded music from a cell or tablet?

If a voice assistant is involved with your Sonos it might be triggered by a sound in your home from another device like an Alexa echo or Google home that is programmed for whatever at a certain time. For example my Alexa can be triggered just from a random sound made by me or my TV. My Apple Homepod mini on my night stand can be triggered by closing the drawer. To be clear it doesn’t happena everytime but on random occasions it does every once in a GREAT while 🤔

Note: I had a similar issue with my Beam 2 turning on my TV around 7pm. I tried  everything I’ve posted here and still didn’t resolve the issue. I finally did a factory reset on the Beam2 that resolved it. However before doing a factory reset on the offending speaker I suggest you submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence and post the reference ID in your next post. Afterwards call Sonos tech support to discuss the findings.

I recently moved into my house and the previous owners left the system. The system was reset and is running on my network and has a new username and password. It actually sounds like someone is going up something on their phone before the music plays. It sounds like bubbles 🫧 popping before the music plays.  I’m think somehow a neighbor is able to get on the system. Idk 🤷‍♀️ 

Userlevel 7

Hi

Read my post again as I added more information. But if you think it’s a neighbor you still need to change your routers password.