Skip to main content
Question

Forced APP update following latest Desktop Controller update (Build 80155014)...

What on earth have you done now? My Windows Desktop Controller indicated an update and I carried this out and assume it’s made some firmware changes to my speakers and now I can no longer use S2 16.3 app as it just states this with no functionality: 

I have retained using the old app as IT ACTUALLY WORKED unlike your failed new 80 version.

HOW DO I CONTINUE USING MY SYSTEM AS I WANT TO WITHOUT LOSING ALL FUNCTIONALITY???

72 replies

After update to 6.13 (Build 80155014)  via the Windows app my Android controllers no longer work. I am left with Windows to control my system. The Android controllers immediately stop on error without further notice. Uninstall and install via Playstore does not resolve the issue...

The firmware update includes a bug where the Android controller will just crash. 

Also the update locked off the ability of the 16.1 app to connect and control the system. 

It is hoped that Sonos will fix the crashing bug like today. 

Unfortunately if you were using 16.1 this update really screwed you. Sonos has now made it impossible to use. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Thomass @PTW 

As this week’s app update is yet to happen (maybe later today?), it’s possible that will bring back Android functionality (and other functionality that the latest firmware has caused for some people).

Userlevel 3

Same here.

I had the stupidity to update my system to the latest version 80.1-55014 (from the new android app).

Now the old controller android app 16.1 with the features I'm still using has been deliberately broken by sonos.

With the new android app 80.04.05-release+20240702… I still:

• can't manage playlist (editing, saving the queue),
  • add only one element to the playing queue (every elements of a deezer album, pocketcast podcast, local music folder, is added at once)
  • the queue made with podcast episodes using the old app can't display in the app (but does display in the webapp). It can still be played and navigated with the previous and next buttons.
  • the buttons to go back or forth the time of the current playing song are missing, long pressing the previous or next buttons that allows to do nearly the same thing in the old app is not doing it in the new one.
  • While trying to add only one element from a local music folder to the queue, the 300+ elements where added and the app instantly force closed and keep doing it until I emptied the queue from the webapp.
  • it's impossible to manage the queue : reordering, removing an element, clearing the queue (I can use the workaround of playing the line-in for clearing.)

Still a heap of crap that app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My previous comment still applies. You never know...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The firmware update includes a bug where the Android controller will just crash. 

Also the update locked off the ability of the 16.1 app to connect and control the system. 

Unfortunately if you were using 16.1 this update really screwed you. Sonos has now made it impossible to use. 

That’s not good, to say I’m frustrated is the understatement of the year… p.s. I ‘was’ using S2 16.3 have just tried another update to 80.04.05 and it’s constantly losing connection to the whole system. 🤬

That’s not good, to say I’m frustrated is the understatement of the year… p.s. I ‘was’ using S2 16.3 have just tried another update to 80.04.05 and it’s constantly losing connection to the whole system. 🤬

Yeah that sounds about normal for the new app. 

But yeah I’m trying to stay positive and that maybe all the missing features and bugs will be fixed in the coming update. Though the crashing Android app isn’t a good sign that they even tested the firmware before release so 🤷‍♀️

On the positive side... in addition to the Windows controller my one and only iOS controller works fine with the firmware update.

Yeah I'm raging, my speakers wouldn't connect, except for one, so I checked for an update, did the update and now I regret life as I can't use the app, it won't load Spotify at all, keeps saying there is an error, I work from home and listening to music helps with work, just as well I have the move speaker listening through Bluetooth from Spotify directly. This newer app is a complete joke and I have no idea what Sonos are doing, does anyone actually know? Do they even know themselves? Lol too much money spent on these speakers over the years and can't use them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sonos are certainly around here today so I'm more than a little surprised nobody has commented since the latest overnight Update and subsequent breakages, including complete App crashes.

On the positive side... in addition to the Windows controller my one and only iOS controller works fine with the firmware update.

Yeah that’s a good sign. For anyone who got screwed out of their controls the desktop app is almost always reliable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Speakers/connection never been an issue... just app.

Was using android 16.1 to retain some sort of control... now only desktop gives me any reliability/ control.

Android/iOS still not reliable... former loses recents/favs still and the latter struggles to get beyond library and to composers/albums etc.

On recents, when they appear for a few seconds see stuff I've not used... greyed out but nevertheless exhibits a worrying flakiness…

Speakers/connection never been an issue... just app.

Was using android 16.1 to retain some sort of control... now only desktop gives me any reliability/ control.

Android/iOS still not reliable... former loses recents/favs still and the latter struggles to get beyond library and to composers/albums etc.

On recents, when they appear for a few seconds see stuff I've not used... greyed out but nevertheless exhibits a worrying flakiness…

The good news is a new app update is coming. Also the bad news is a new app update is coming. 🤣🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Why are people updating their firmware and/or apps if everything is working OK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Some updates are “forced” but, for me, the main reason is that things are not working as expected so I’m hoping for some fixes to improve things. 

Moderator note: No updates are ever forced. If you disable system updates in settings and app updates in app store, you will not get updates. If you do update one, however, you may need to update the other before you can use your system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

To ensure I keep my system in tip top condition. I imagine I am one of the lucky ones...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Some updates are “forced” but, for me, the main reason is that things are not working as expected so I’m hoping for some fixes to improve things. 

Well that makes sense, because in that case things are not working OK.

Wondering about the OP though because they said they installed the updated because the controller “indicated an update”--could mean different things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would guess that the OP, like others of us, has been using the Windows PC App to manage things. There have been a few firmware updates since 7th May but until this one they did not break the 16.1 Android and IOS Apps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I would guess that the OP, like others of us, has been using the Windows PC App to manage things. There have been a few firmware updates since 7th May but until this one they did not break the 16.1 Android and IOS Apps.

Precisely, this...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

To ensure I keep my system in tip top condition. I imagine I am one of the lucky ones...

But if it's working well then it's already in tip top condition. The only thing an update can do is make it worse.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Precisely, this...

Precisely what? A message came up and said an update was available so you went ahead even though everything was already working? Or you had a problem that you anticipated would be fixed by updating?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I was interested to find a new (to me anyway) and rather threatening message on my screen today, shown on this screenshot

I had seen the post from @Thomass  and backed straight out of there.

My concern is that there is clearly a new level of pressure coming on from Sonos to install a firmware "upgrade" and that people may be pushed into doing so. My only advice is DON'T DO IT, at least until the implications of the "upgrade" are clarified. Oh, and make sure the auto upgrade option for the firmware is toggled off.

Incidentally, my system is running firmware 16.2 build 79154060 and, on my two Android controllers, 16.1 build 78151030 and 80.04.05 release 20240702. I'm happy to say that the whole setup is - leaving aside the widely known limitations of V80.. of the app - working perfectly and is perhaps getting a little faster over time. 

I intend to keep it that way by NOT installing the firmware update for now.

Be sure to also block automatic updates to the phone/pad from the App Store. The option in the SONOS controller is relevant only to the SONOS hardware, not the controller and will not prevent controller updates pushed by the App Store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I was interested to find a new (to me anyway) and rather threatening message on my screen today, shown on this screenshot

I intend to keep it that way by NOT installing the firmware update for now.

Hi @jreddaway you are clever than me! Curiosity got the better of me and in a moment of sheer stupidity I installed the v16.3 firmware released yesterday. It immediately killed the beloved v16.1 Android app, requiring an app update by blocking all functionality.

DO NOT install a firmware (aka system) update if you are running the v16.1 Android app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Oh dear, @press250 , that is a great big OUCH!

I hope that your experience, and that of @Thomass whose original post alerted me to this latest atrocity, will serve as a warning to all our Sonos friends who are hanging in there through it all. 

At least we now know for sure that the Sonos Master Plan is to render V16.1 unusable; I guess they will succeed in doing that eventually, but in the meantime I for one will NOT be installing any new firmware!

If it's any consolation now that V16.1 is lost to you, I am finding V80.x increasingly useable and I am sure you will now that you have no option. My big beefs revolve around the management of my local library, which is clearly a very low priority for the unfortunate developers. Lack of search, no real queue/playlist management and - my biggest beef - their complete failure to pull my carefully curated album art to populate all the placeholders they have built into the UI is just pathetic.

I guess it all revolves around their decision to make their lives easier by moving to the cloud-based architecture for the new firmware. I hope it does make their lives easier, because it's costing them heaps in terms of their reputation and their customers' satisfaction and support. 

I continue to hope that all will come good eventually. Eventually never seems to come any closer though. 

Rant over, at least for now. 

And for anybody reading this who's still on V16.1 and values it, DONT INSTALL THE FIRMWARE "UPGRADE"!