Feedback and suggestions?

• 11 August 2021
  • 5 replies

How best to provide feedback and product suggestions regarding Sonos hardware?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

You can post your feedback and suggestions here and a Sonos staff member will read it and pass it along.

Post your suggestion in the forum it best fits under.  If it’s about home theater, post under home theater.  Sonos staff read everything, so it will be noted, and possibly generate conversation.  Some people like to preface in the title with something like ‘feature request: ‘, but it’s not necessary.

Ok. Well - let me post it here.

I purchased the Sonos Roam when it first came out and I have some feedback on things I would like to be considered. (and I realise that some of these could be me not finding a setting...) :-)

1. Configuration option in Sonos app to allow shutdown of Roam after a period of no use. It feels like my Roam will stay on for any length of time (even with the Microphone off) even when there’s nothing playing. If Sonos Roam isn’t being used for X minutes - then shutdown (power off).
  2. Option in Sonos app or via the API to allow remote shutdown (power off) of Sonos Roam. I’m lazy - sometimes I forget to turn it off, and I’ve got the app available to me… I’d like to send a message to Sonos Roam to shutdown. I’d expect to be able to do this via an API call too (so that existing integrations (e.g. https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api ) could make use of that.
  3. Sonos Roam seems to ‘remember’ it was in a group when turned on - if it was in a group when shutdown. I’ve not established the exact steps that happen here - but sometimes I’ll group the Sonos Roam with another Sonos speaker (Play:5 for example) and then later I’ll power off the Sonos Roam while music is playing. Then I’ll do other things with the other Sonos speaker - e.g. play a different stream or piece of music. Then if I turn the Sonos Roam back on - it *might* realise it was grouped and then start playing whatever the other speaker is currently playing. I can’t tell if that’s annoying or useful. :-) Feels like maybe there’s a configuration option there.
  4. Sonos App displays the battery level of the Sonos Roam only when the Sonos Roam is powered on - this is sometimes annoying. I think it would be best if the Sonos App would show the last known battery level of the Sonos Roam even if the Sonos Roam is unreachable (off or out of network).
  5. I forget to turn off the Microphone and that really chews through the battery. Perhaps an option to allow Microphone to turn off automatically after X minutes from last Assistant response in the configruation on Sonos App?
  6. The Sonos Roam has shutdown due to low battery. I go plug it in to charge (I don’t have a wireless charger option - so this might be different), and the Sonos Roam turns on after a period - and is on all the time it is charging. I can only assume this means it takes longer to charge the device. Also - when the device manages to reach fully charged level and it’s still on - I assume it will continue to draw power for charging the battery wasting energy and maybe not so good for the longevity of the batter? I’d like to see: if the Sonos Roam is off, plugging in to charge won’t turn it on; if I tap the power button - then it should turn on; if I hold the power button when it is on, it should follow the usual workflow to turn off and remain off whilst charging continues; charging should cease when the unit is off and battery level is as high as best for battery longevity.
  7. I find the ‘hold play’ to play music from another speaker on Roam a fiddly and often unsatisfying (i.e. doesn’t work) feature. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong, or perhaps the documentation wasn’t obvious… or perhaps there’s some limitation to what I’m doing.

I really like the Sonos Roam - so please accept these thoughts as someone giving you feedback to make a good product even better.

Thanks.

Al

Ok. Well - let me post it here.

I purchased the Sonos Roam when it first came out and I have some feedback on things I would like to be considered. (and I realise that some of these could be me not finding a setting...) :-)

1. Configuration option in Sonos app to allow shutdown of Roam after a period of no use. It feels like my Roam will stay on for any length of time (even with the Microphone off) even when there’s nothing playing. If Sonos Roam isn’t being used for X minutes - then shutdown (power off).

Roam has a sleep mode as well as completed powered off.  I believe it automatically sleeps after 5 minutes, and will wake when you push buttons or use the app.  It does not automatically power off.

1. Option in Sonos app or via the API to allow remote shutdown (power off) of Sonos Roam. I’m lazy - sometimes I forget to turn it off, and I’ve got the app available to me… I’d like to send a message to Sonos Roam to shutdown. I’d expect to be able to do this via an API call too (so that existing integrations (e.g. https://github.com/jishi/node-Tsonos-http-api ) could make use of that.

The Sonos app doesn’t have access to your system while away from your WiFi at all. They do have a cloud API, so it’s possible. 

1. Sonos Roam seems to ‘remember’ it was in a group when turned on - if it was in a group when shutdown. I’ve not established the exact steps that happen here - but sometimes I’ll group the Sonos Roam with another Sonos speaker (Play:5 for example) and then later I’ll power off the Sonos Roam while music is playing. Then I’ll do other things with the other Sonos speaker - e.g. play a different stream or piece of music. Then if I turn the Sonos Roam back on - it *might* realise it was grouped and then start playing whatever the other speaker is currently playing. I can’t tell if that’s annoying or useful. :-) Feels like maybe there’s a configuration option there.

Sonos rooms stay grouped until you ungroup them as a general  rule.  I think what you’re seeing is that a sleeping Roam will stay grouped, while a completely off Roam (or switched to bluetooth) will leave the group.

1. Sonos App displays the battery level of the Sonos Roam only when the Sonos Roam is powered on - this is sometimes annoying. I think it would be best if the Sonos App would show the last known battery level of the Sonos Roam even if the Sonos Roam is unreachable (off or out of network).

The Sonos app doesn’t really remember anything about your system at all.  All information is stored on the speakers themselves.   Having the app remember that you have a Roam(s) and what it’s past power level is might be a bigger change then you think.

1. I forget to turn off the Microphone and that really chews through the battery. Perhaps an option to allow Microphone to turn off automatically after X minutes from last Assistant response in the configruation on Sonos App?
  2. The Sonos Roam has shutdown due to low battery. I go plug it in to charge (I don’t have a wireless charger option - so this might be different), and the Sonos Roam turns on after a period - and is on all the time it is charging. I can only assume this means it takes longer to charge the device. Also - when the device manages to reach fully charged level and it’s still on - I assume it will continue to draw power for charging the battery wasting energy and maybe not so good for the longevity of the batter? I’d like to see: if the Sonos Roam is off, plugging in to charge won’t turn it on; if I tap the power button - then it should turn on; if I hold the power button when it is on, it should follow the usual workflow to turn off and remain off whilst charging continues; charging should cease when the unit is off and battery level is as high as best for battery longevity.
  3. I find the ‘hold play’ to play music from another speaker on Roam a fiddly and often unsatisfying (i.e. doesn’t work) feature. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong, or perhaps the documentation wasn’t obvious… or perhaps there’s some limitation to what I’m doing.

I am not a fan of the single button for multiple features approach either.  I get why it’s done for the Roam, but not a big fan.  Not sure what can be done about it.

I really like the Sonos Roam - so please accept these thoughts as someone giving you feedback to make a good product even better.

Thanks.

Al

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AlanO

Welcome to the Sonos Community, and thank you for your feature requests regarding the Roam. Some good ideas there.These will be passed along and considered.