Feature Request: Global Hotkeys

• 15 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I'm reaching out to suggest a feature enhancement for the SONOS PC application that I believe would significantly enrich our user experience: the introduction of Global Hotkeys, reminiscent of the classic Winamp player.

For those unfamiliar, Global Hotkeys in Winamp allowed users to control basic music playback functions (play, pause, skip, etc.) using keyboard shortcuts, regardless of whether the application was in focus. This feature was a game-changer in terms of convenience and efficiency, enabling users to manage their music seamlessly while engaged in other tasks on their PC.

Implementing Global Hotkeys in the SONOS PC application would bring a similar level of functionality and ease of use. Imagine being able to control your SONOS sound system with simple key combinations, without the need to switch windows or interrupt your workflow. This feature would be especially beneficial for users who often multitask on their computers, providing a way to enjoy and manage their SONOS experience more intuitively and efficiently.

The benefits of integrating Global Hotkeys include:

Enhanced Multitasking: Control your music playback without having to leave the application you're currently working in.

Increased Accessibility: For users with mobility or visual impairments, keyboard shortcuts can be easier to use than a mouse or touchpad.

Customization: Allow users to set their own hotkey combinations, catering to individual preferences and keyboard layouts.

Improved User Experience: Streamline the interaction with the SONOS system, making it more user-friendly and enjoyable.

Consistency with Legacy Applications: Many users coming from classic media players like Winamp would appreciate this familiar feature.

As a community of music and tech enthusiasts, I believe we all understand the importance of continually enhancing our user experience. Global Hotkeys would be a small yet significant step in making our interaction with the SONOS ecosystem more fluid and enjoyable.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this suggestion. Do you think Global Hotkeys would be a valuable addition to the SONOS PC application? Are there specific key combinations or functions you would find particularly useful?

Thank you for considering this proposal. I look forward to a discussion and hope to see this feature become a reality, enhancing our SONOS experience.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Unfortunately, several years ago, Sonos indicated they were no longer making updates to either the Windows, or Mac desktop applications, both were going in to ‘maintenance mode’. Now, all development is being done on the mobile clients only. 

That being said, it’s hard to disagree with your list. Just hard to see how they could be effectively integrated into the mobile client, without hampering the ease of use that Sonos strives for. Great for those of us who love extra features, likely just confusion for the average user. 

They don’t really apply to a mobile application anyhow. That’s sad, and kind of weak, that they aren’t improving the PC and Mac software anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can do this with my Windows app (see profile): Play/Pause/Prev/Next controls will work. Volume will not, as those are hard-coded to the actual PC volume.