Dropouts, poor wifi via Virgin Media Hub 4?

• 27 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Having asked a question a year ago about random drop-outs, failure to connect to my music library on a home server, of my Sonos Theatre set-up and not getting any further forward, whether it be by many miscelleneous adjustments or calls to Sonos support, my only conclusion is that I need to switch my Virgin Media Hub 4 into  modem mode, and fit a a decent router.

I would appreciate insights from others who have tried this solution to end drop-outs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Might be just as easy, and cheaper, to use SonosNet, by wiring one Sonos device (not a surround or Sub) to your current router. See the wireless and wired systems FAQ, as well as the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

And either way you go, use reserved IP addresses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The “good router” option is never a bad idea and with a better router your other connections will also benefit.

With your Sonos the SonosNet option (above) might be the easiest if you can get the Ethernet to a non-Surround Sonos.

Having asked a question a year ago about random drop-outs, failure to connect to my music library on a home server, of my Sonos Theatre set-up and not getting any further forward, whether it be by many miscelleneous adjustments or calls to Sonos support, my only conclusion is that I need to switch my Virgin Media Hub 4 into  modem mode, and fit a a decent router.

I would appreciate insights from others who have tried this solution to end drop-outs.

Maybe see if VM will upgrade you to their SuperHub v5 (WiFi-6 AX) Hub - it works fine with Sonos.

Thank you for your replies, unfortunately its feasible to wire a non surround, as the surrounds are right by the router and the non-surround items are in other rooms, and unfortunately i cant change the location of the router.

I will look into the Virgin SuperHub v5 thanks. There is an update which has led me to asking a new question, the text of which is below but I will post it appropriately.

Sonos system ’repair’ is to disable the Sonos Port.

Having suffered  a considerable amount of audio drop-outs from everything on my system: TV, radio, Roam, music library and vinyl; I contacted customer support. After a running diagnostic checks the temporary solution was to disconnect the Sonos Port.

This has resulted in all audio playing correctly with only one or two drop-outs in the day or so since the ‘fix’ was applied.

The advice was to connect the Port only when we want to play vinyl, but the vinyl drops-out as well.

Is there anyway I can re-attach the Port to my system, or have Sonos mis-represented the nature of their product and the Port is incompatible with other Sonos products?

Thank you for your replies, unfortunately its feasible to wire a non surround, as the surrounds are right by the router and the non-surround items are in other rooms, and unfortunately i cant change the location of the router.

I will look into the Virgin SuperHub v5 thanks. There is an update which has led me to asking a new question, the text of which is below but I will post it appropriately.

Sonos system ’repair’ is to disable the Sonos Port.

Having suffered  a considerable amount of audio drop-outs from everything on my system: TV, radio, Roam, music library and vinyl; I contacted customer support. After a running diagnostic checks the temporary solution was to disconnect the Sonos Port.

This has resulted in all audio playing correctly with only one or two drop-outs in the day or so since the ‘fix’ was applied.

The advice was to connect the Port only when we want to play vinyl, but the vinyl drops-out as well.

Is there anyway I can re-attach the Port to my system, or have Sonos mis-represented the nature of their product and the Port is incompatible with other Sonos products?

The Sonos ‘Port’ of course is not incompatible with any Sonos product - I use the Port regularly with my Sonos setup.

Might it be a network configuration issue you’re referring to? If so, then need to give more detail. If it’s wireless interference for example, then why not just blacklist it on one wireless segment, so that it uses the other band instead… I seem to think the Virgin Media hubs may allow you to do that.

You just need to check your VM Hub user manual - or maybe just try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel (ch 1, 6 or 11) and set its channel-width to 20Mhz only to help keep interference to a minimum.

If however its a line-in buffer issue relating to your Turntable then ensure the ‘Audio Delay’ buffer in the Port’s line-in settings is set to 2 seconds (maximum) to cater for any poor network conditions. You could also set the line-in audio to ‘compressed’ too if you still have any issues after that.

Are there several Sonos devices wired to the VM Hub, including the Port? If so unwire all but one. 

Hi Ratty,

None of my Sonos devices are wired, The only connecting ‘wire; is an optical cable  from the Playbar to the TV.