Connectivity on a wireless extender

• 18 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

How do I contact the app developer 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Which app are you speaking of? The Sonos app? If so, you’d post here. The forum moderators would then add your feedback to all the other feedback to the Sonos development team.

However, I’m confused by the title of your post. What do you mean by “Bot”?

Badge

Bot is because I had to have a title. And as I'd wasted an hour trying to get past the Sonos Bot.

As for my issue with the S2 app. Is the message telling me I'm using a wireless extender. Could there be a tick box saying" don't see this message again "  As I continually have to dismiss it every time I join a speaker. As for the warning I haven't had any problems grouping speakers. Furthermore the suggestion in the dialogue box to connect at least 1 product direct to the router didn't work and made it worse.

Kind regards 

Jim

Understood.

By posting the request here, the forum moderators will see it, add it to the other feedback, and pass it back to the development team. 

The second part of your statement is more concerning. By wiring a single device to your router (and not the extender) should put the Sonos system into a “wired” or “SonosNet” mode, and assuming that you remove the network information from the controller, your system should normally just “work”. Granted it does take a minute or two to switch from wireless to wired mode, and if you leave the network data in the controller, the speakers can possibly flap between the two connection methods.

For the network issues, I’d certainly recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge

So

My router is now a modem. The extender is hard wired to the router which is a Virgin Media supplied router. I then have a Boost hard wired to the extender. This is a recent change to my system made mainly because I wanted to extend the connectivity to the bottom of my garden 25m.

Jim

The challenge with many extenders, and frequently depends on how they’re set up, is that the split the network in to multiple subnets. Sonos expects there to be a single subnet, so that all speakers and the controller can talk to each other. I suspect Sonos doesn’t have the capability to detect anything beyond “there is an extender” rather than how it’s set up, and throws that exception.

That being said, I fully support the concept of “don’t show me this again”, too. 

Badge

Bruce 

Just to recap. I've just connected/grouped all 9 speakers. I got the extender dialogue box. Pressed OK to dismiss it. And all the speakers were connected volume playback all OK. 

Thanks for your help.

Jim