Answered

2 different systems in 2 different locations

• 21 January 2024
  • 7 replies

I am slowly adding Sonos speakers into my home eco system and I loving it. Recently I purchased a new Sonos Play 5 for my office and planning to setup using my Sonos App.

Can I use the same Phone and Sonos App to configure 2 different Systems based on Home or Work wifi? 

What happens to my Spotify App on my Laptop will it automatically switch to network Sonos based on my home and work wifi

May be its already answered before but I couldn't find the answer, so please help

ML

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 January 2024, 18:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Office in your home or at a remote location?

@MusiqLover,

I’m assuming the office has a different WiFi network to your Home in this instance. Here’s my suggestion if that is the case…

Add the ‘Five’ to your Home network and add the office WiFi credentials to the system..  see the attached screenshot, which is an example of multiple networks added to one Sonos system.

Take the Five and mobile controller to the office and the Five should connect to the WiFi and simply open the controller App with the mobile device connected to the office WiFi too and all should then work fine.

Now the slightly tricky part - you ideally need the office WiFi signal (SSID/Password) nearby and in proximity to the Home WiFi network to add it to your Sonos setup. The easiest way to achieve that is to simply ‘mimic’ the office WiFi SSID/Password using a mobile ‘hotspot’. (Just do not use the controller device as the WiFi hotspot use another mobile instead). So set that up at Home and add the office (WiFi Hotspot) credentials to the Home system by using the ‘Update Networks’ feature in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’. 

That’s the easiest way to achieve things and it means the existing Sonos App/Controller device will switch and work with devices at Home or Office.

I'm in the same situation. I have 2 homes in separate states and would like to use one account. Interested in what someone can come up with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Lefty67 I think @Ken_Griffiths did come up with an answer…..

He came up with one solution and I was hoping there's more than one. I could be understanding is solution incorrectly because his solution would require me to fly one of my sonos products to my second home.

He came up with one solution and I was hoping there's more than one. I could be understanding is solution incorrectly because his solution would require me to fly one of my sonos products to my second home.

If you use a different Sonos Household (using a reset controller App) and so choose not to take just one existing device only with you for starting the system at the second location, then voice services, like Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant, will need to be switched between the two Sonos Households. You would also need to setup services, favourites, playlists etc. again. - It would be far less trouble to take one device with you when you go to the second location, such as a Roam, Move, One etc. and simply ‘extend’ the existing Sonos Household ID across each location.

However if you prefer to have two separate systems, then that’s fine too. Simply start the setup with a reset Sonos App ‘Settings/App Preferences/Reset App’ ..  and a factory-reset device. Then on return Home simple connect the Sonos App back (without a reset) to the ‘existing’ Sonos system on the Home WiFi network. The App will then auto-switch system when it is attached to either WiFi network Home A or B.

My personal suggestion though is ‘by far’ the easiest option and that is to stick with one Household ID as outlined in my earlier post.

I will just mention one further option and that is to use the same WiFi SSID/Password at both locations, but in that instance, ‘ideally’ you still need to take one (setup) Sonos product with you from Home ‘A’ to location ‘B’. Obviously if location B is a workplace/office this is not always practicable, or possible, but maybe okay for a second Home destination.

The issue I’ve seen with that is some users can occasionally reset their Home 2 router and find they cannot recall the ‘shared’ WiFi credentials, or they have many other devices in use already at Location ‘B’ and changing the credentials to match those of Home A is not a practical thing to do.

I mention this though, as some users with two Homes, might perhaps want to do this and simplify things a little more.