Answered

Sonos not syncing with itunes

• 19 March 2019
  • 5 replies

I recently bought a new PC running Windows 10 and did a new install of itunes. I synced my Sonos system and all seemed fine. Recently I bought a CD and imported it into itunes, created a new playlist and then updated the music library in Sonos. Unfortunately the new itunes playlist is not showing in Imported Playlist on my Sonos. I have read a number of articles on here and it seems to be a reasonably common issue, but none of them seemed to offer a solution. What can I do?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 20 March 2019, 10:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I'd think the first thing to do is to check to be sure that iTunes is putting the data in the appropriate folder that the Sonos has access to.

Then I'd check to make sure that when you imported the CD, it was in a format that Sonos can read. See supported audio formats.

Finally, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of running a library update, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
As far as I can tell the folders are correct. Sonos is linked to C:\users\myname\music\iTunes. I don't know anywhere else they could be.

How do I know what format the imported CD was in. I just used the itunes automatic import facility which puts the songs in the recently added section of the itunes library. I then created a new playlist and added the imported songs to that. I then updated the music library in Sonos but the playlist is not in Imported Playlists
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there. Here's how to check what your import settings are in iTunes. You can get information about a track in iTunes, by right-clicking and selecting "Get info."

Playlists not synching correctly does come up from time to time, this is partly down to the way iTunes works and the way Sonos reads playlists.

If you playlists are not being reflected correctly in Sonos, you will need to check (and possibly recreate) the ".xml file" for your iTunes library. The .xml file is an Apple proprietary file that tells third-party applications which tracks belong with which in a playlist. It can be compromised by dragging and dropping library items between your folders, or migrating files from one computer (or directory) to another. If this has been compromised, playlists do not work or update correctly and so you will need to "consolidate your library". This will make a fresh copy of the .xml file. Yes, unfortunately the .xml file really can be that sensitive.

You will need to find the .xml file in your folders. It would typically be in the iTunes folder itself, (C:\users\myname\music\iTunes). If it is not, or if the modified date is incorrect, this is why your playlists don't work. If you find the .xml file elsewhere and the modified date is correct (i.e. it coincides with the last time you used iTunes) you can try simply dragging it into C:\users\myname\music\iTunes and reindexing your music library within Sonos. However, if you can't find it, or if the date is wrong, I recommend doing a websearch for more information on .xml files and iTunes library consolidation.

If any of this is unclear, it would be best to contact Apple support. If you find the .xml file and it appears to be correct, please report back.
Looking Good. I deleted the xml file, consolidated the library and now it is in Sonos. Thanks very much indeed
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nicely done! Cool, let us know if you need anything else. All the best.