Skip to main content

Delighted to get my system back working after the latest update(s), however …

It’s eating my iPhone battery.  87% over 13hrs background activity today and I’ve not even played any music.  This is not right, surely.

I have exactly same problem. Very high battery drain on my iPhone since last app update.

There is also a thread on this at reddit:

https://new.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1eai1rw/has_the_sonos_app_been_draining_anyone_elses/#09

SONOS please fix this ASAP!

Same problem. Sonos app has taken half my battery overnight and that was all background activity. Sonos really need to look at their software release process 

This is so embarrassing after all the software issues that they had recently... 

Same here, Sonos app using twice as much battery in the background not playing as Apple Music is streaming over Airplay!

iPhone settings - Sonos - Background App Refresh - OFF. 

I believe this is now helping the battery drain on my iPhone. (The Sonos app doesn't need to refresh in the background.)

Credit to @press250 for the tip...

I believe this is now helping the battery drain on my iPhone. (The Sonos app doesn't need to update in the background.)

Strangely though, my Background App Refresh is OFF and always has been.   I read somewhere about there being a difference between background refresh and background activity, which TBH I didn’t fully understand.

I resorted to signing out of my sonos account and force quitting the app.  That certainly solves the problem but would be a proper pain to have to do every time you’ve finished playing music.

I believe this is now helping the battery drain on my iPhone. (The Sonos app doesn't need to update in the background.)

Strangely though, my Background App Refresh is OFF and always has been.   I read somewhere about there being a difference between background refresh and background activity, which TBH I didn’t fully understand.

I resorted to signing out of my sonos account and force quitting the app.  That certainly solves the problem but would be a proper pain to have to do every time you’ve finished playing music.

I have seen a drop in usage, but maybe after 24 hours I’ll find it’s not as drastic as I’d been hoping. There has been enough noise about this issue so I’d imagine Sonos will ‘stick it on the list’… (I’d hate to see that list - I’d never want to go to work if I was a Sonos coder.)

Just as a datapoint: I am seeing a huge battery drain on an Ipad Pro caused by the Sonos app. My iPhone is fine though.

Just as a datapoint: I am seeing a huge battery drain on an Ipad Pro caused by the Sonos app. My iPhone is fine though.

The Sonos App is in the top 3 on my iPad Pro (3rd Gen) battery settings, which is my goto Sonos controller for my Home setup, but not showing too much drain, all things considered, over the last 24 hours. 

However things are certainly worth monitoring/investigating as every little helps. - I’ll switch the Apps background refresh off too, as I don’t really see the point in it - it can refresh whenever things come back into focus on screen.

It’s about on-par with the iOS Mail App in my use-case and the same can usually be said for my iPhone XR controller device too (approx. or thereabouts).

Same here massive battery drain on latest iOS app. I’ve used the app for about 10 minutes today, normally my iPhone battery would be at about 85% at this point in the day.   

WOW! Even with the iOS setting for Background Refresh set to off for Sonos, I’ve found that Sonos is now by far the greatest battery drain. 

37% of my battery in the last 24 hours - from just FOUR MINUTES of screen use! The rest is 17h of background activity. 

Safari is next highest (as I would expect) at 29%, then Mail at 5%, Amazon at 4% etc etc….

Hopefully this will spark a fix in the next update as the app really doesn’t require such battery usage.

Hey fam, many users* are seeing very high battery drain with the v80.05.xx mobile apps released this week—on both iOS and Android—in the range of 30-50% battery used by the Sonos app in a 24 hour period. Most reports are for phones, less so on tablets which have vastly larger batteries.

Mitigation is to close the app when not using it. On iOS swipe up, on Android Force Stop.

(Disappointingly, turning off Background App Refresh does not appear to stop the battery drain.)

* Likely not all users, YMMV

@press250 I was a supporter of the background refresh being Off as you know. But per my email above yours, it has made not a hint of difference despite early promise.. 

@press250 I was a supporter of the background refresh being Off as you know. But per my email above yours, it has made not a hint of difference despite early promise.. 

Got it @Rhonny, edited my post above.

This appears to be another good reason why I have rejected Sonos firmware and app updates for the past month or so… they have not added the functions I have been missing since May 7 and have evidently set some pretty ugly bugs loose in the Sonos universe.

Going on three months of this, one hopes Sonos ‘moderators’ will understand that the reservoir of client patience and forbearance is running very near empty and convey that message to management.

Same problem here on my iPhone 15 Pro. Sonos app is no. 1 in battery usage. 
Please provide a solution for this problem!

Same problem here. 

Same problem here on my iPhone 15 Pro. Sonos app is no. 1 in battery usage. 
Please provide a solution for this problem!

Hi @digiveit and @tg1, the only solution is fully exiting the Sonos app. 

One would think that disabling background app refresh would do the trick, but it doesn’t fix it.

Today the Sonos app used 53% of my battery, and I never actually used it, it was all background processing. Is there a crypto miner secretly included in the app??

(iPhone SE 3).

Today the Sonos app used 53% of my battery, and I never actually used it, it was all background processing. Is there a crypto miner secretly included in the app??

(iPhone SE 3).

The more I read on here the more I am glad I never updated anything on my system 

I don’t even open the Sonos App anymore I use Sono+ and WiiM now oh and Alexa 😊

Hi @controlav, this has been spotted in both the latest iOS app and the Android app.

Per the above, my guess is someone decided to address the responsiveness/latency issues with constant polling of the device firmware. I’d be keen to hear your own thesis!

I have the same issue on iOS iPhone 13. Must be a general problem.

Found this workaround on iPhone:

Use the webapp player in Safari: https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

Remember to set browser to “Show normal website” otherwise it says screen size not supported. Works best by holding phone in landscape mode.

I’m also seeing battery drain while the app is in the background, and also unable to turn iPhone system volume all the way down to 0, which I’ve posted about here - 

I’m also seeing battery drain while the app is in the background, and also unable to turn iPhone system volume all the way down to 0, which I’ve posted about here - 

Edited as I misread the issue (as you know from the other thread!) - thought it was app volume, not iPhone system volume...

Add me to the list. 1 minutes of app usage, 5 hours 10 minutes of background, and Sonos is responsible for 47% of my iPhone 15 Pro battery usage in the past 24 hours.

Why is it always 1 step forward, 3 steps back?