Answered

How can you create internet radio streams now that TuneIn is no longer available for free?

• 12 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

I have previously created some live radio streams in Sonos via the process described here, using the TuneIn service: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos 

However, I recently noticed that TuneIn is no longer available by default on my Sonos system, and I could add the new TuneIn, but it seems like it is for paid subscribers only? 
I was wondering if there is a new way to add internet radio streams?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 June 2023, 12:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dan187856 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I have the following information to share with you:

• Customers who already have manually added stations will have these stations automatically migrated to My Sonos as favourites, so they will not be lost or become unavailable.
  • The new TuneIn container for the Sonos app will not have the ability to add manual stations, but the TuneIn app will, and any added there will automatically migrate to the (new) Sonos TuneIn container, if logged into the same account.

The latter feature is not yet currently not working but it is our intention to work together with TuneIn to bring this feature in as soon as possible.

For now, you can of course still use the “old” TuneIn container in the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Corry P,

Thank you for the clarification.

By the way, why such a feature is not native to the Sonos system in order to avoid to go through services we use only for this purpose?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PhilippeM 

Good question. I don’t know. In fact, I was wondering the same myself just a moment before opening this page (because I had just finished reading your own topic).

I assume if you make a new thread with a feature request for the ability to manually add custom stations via Sonos Radio or perhaps directly in the Sonos app, you would get quite a few +1s.

At the same time, I can’t imagine it hasn’t already occurred to our development teams to do so. It won’t hurt though - perhaps someone will reconsider if they see enough interest registered.

These answers are very technical and not easy to follow.  Can Sonos support not give answers a 6 year old can understand so we can all figure out buttons we’re supposed to push and where?!

Does this apply to Mac OS app as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cdntourist 

Which part are you needing help with, in particular? Please note in my original reply that I stated that manually adding stations does not yet work with the TuneIn app (but the old version of TuneIn is still available and you should therefore still be able to add a station by following the steps at https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lookoutsailor 

You don’t need TuneIn to add a station via a Desktop Controller, but the station does then get listed there. Please follow the instructions at https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos.

I hope this helps.