“Family Cabin” system setup

• 16 May 2023
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies

Hi,  I’ve purchased some Sonos products (three room groups) to use at our family cabin. There are four families that stay there, one family at a time. Some are Sonos believers and some (hopefully) are future enthusiasts. There is wifi with internet, password protection that is available to everyone.

I’m looking for feedback regarding the simplest configuration that will allow each family to use the system during their stay, using their own streaming services without seeing others accounts. 

My thoughts so far…

1.  Create an email account for the house (comcast) and use that to create a Sonos account with a password we can share. This way nobody’s personal email and passwords are used. 

2. Suggest each family download the Sonos app. 

3.  They can either add or remove their streaming apps to the sonos account or they can stream from services like Spotify or Amazon Music (?). If they stream directly from Spotify I believe they still benefit from using the Sonos app to control volumes and groups separately. 

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? I’ll only have ONE chance to make a first impression for the new Sonos users so any help would be great  

Thanks,

Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1 - Ok, but I’m not so sure I would go to the trouble. If you bought the speakers, I would own the user account.  The other families probably won’t need to log in ever, and can give you a call if they do.  WiFi access gets you what you want.

2 - Sure. I would probably just leave a note in a draw somewhere with that suggestion as well as the WiFi password or any other important info for the cabin. I’d leave instructions for how to play/pause, volume etc via the hard buttons and Sonos voice control.

3 -  I’ve used Amazon casting before I’ve always had the same account on my phone app as the Sonos account setup on Sonos.  I don’t think it works if the streaming service accounts don’t match?  Either way, I’d instruct Apple users to connect via airplay and android users via bluetooth (assuming you have Sonos with bluetooth)  If you have an Amazon (or other service) family plan with extra sub-accounts to spare, setup one of them for use in the Sonos app, if the other families are fine sharing.  I’d also setup the free version of Sonos radio (unless you want to pay for it for everyone).

Sure, make a good impression, but you need to make it very easy to use.  The other families are only there for a couple days probably, and don’t want to spend an hour learning and setting up Sonos for their use, particularly if they are packed a portable bluetooth speaker for the trip.

The best details depend on how tech savvy and willing the guests are. If they are savvy and willing, guests can install a controller and their own services. I encourage them to remove their own services on exit.

Next would be AirPlay and Bluetooth. I’m not terribly keen on either, but some people seem to live their life here.

Finally, you could use tethered tablets in kiosk mode running only the SONOS controller and include some services unique to that location. For example, attempting to share a Spotify account at two homes does not work well because the ‘other’ location will stop if simultaneous play is attempted.

Buzz,

When you say “install a controller and their own services” and “remove their own services on exit”are you describing a person using the Sonos app on any device to join the Sonos system in the cabin, then adding a provider like Spotify, then removing the Spotify account when they leave?

If so it sounds like my plan could work with some detailed instructions or a talk through.  

And…

I think those less bold  users could use the Sonos directly from Spotify.

With a known password any user could clear out the service list if necessary. Maybe you can add/remove without a password. 

So…

I think I’ll plan to set them (the family) up for success by creating an easy to understand system, sharing all relevant sign in information, creating a “cheat sheet” to keep on site, and offering additional support to those who need it. 

… or take a nap. 

Buzz,

When you say “install a controller and their own services” and “remove their own services on exit”are you describing a person using the Sonos app on any device to join the Sonos system in the cabin, then adding a provider like Spotify, then removing the Spotify account when they leave?

Yes, you could have a unique “house” Spotify account that should always be available. Individual users could also install their private account and this should be removed on departure.

Depending on your user base, installing a controller and private music service could be a few minute nothing chore or a monumental task requiring major handholding.

There are a few details that could add to the “monument”. For example, the controllers and players must all be running the same software level. This could require upgrading the house system as new guest controllers are installed. This could also impact the guest when they return to their home SONOS system — requiring that system to be updated.

Melvimbe,

Hi, thanks for the thoughts  

1.  I wasnt sure if you can add/remove services without  “logging in” to the Sonos system. If you don’t need to then there shouldn’t be a need for anyone to access it. In that case I could use mine. 

2. A cheat sheet would be valuable, in a drawer, near the modem…
  3. I am concerned that there could be rogue sharing issue, in fact I’m counting on it.
    Each family uses it for periods ranging from two weeks to two months. There are one or two “young people” per group which raises the “tech savvy” factor that determines success.  

4. I think the Sonos system works way better than Bluetooth in this situation. We used similar components last year and it was great.  It tied for best cabin addition alongside the Costco string lights over the deck.  

I couldn’t stop it from numbering that last paragraph  

Dave