Skip to main content

Hi, 

I am returning a Roam speaker to Sonos as it’s within the return window, and have factory re-set it. It still shows as ‘offline’ in the app though but it does not show up as an item under the ‘About my system’ list. 

I phoned Sonos and they had me re-set the app - it was still there.

They had me re-set the app, then log in to a new account (using my normal details mind you - separate household?), then add the Roam to that account which I managed to do while on the phone to Sonos. Then the guy said it should be ok so we ended the call. So then I factory re-set the Roam again and re-set the app again and logged into my normal account/household (which the Sonos guy told me to do) and the bloody thing is still there.

Will this thing just disappear of it’s own accord at some point? I will try re-booting my router later today but can’t right now as I’m working at home.

Yes, usually after a period of 72 hours of last use, it should disappear from your system, or you can reboot all your Sonos devices with a network reboot and that will cause it to disappear too.

What I don’t understand from your post @SarahN is did the Roam work, or not, in the newly created Sonos Household, you seem to infer that it did work and that you then ended the support call…?

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths 😀

The OCD tendencies in me make this frustrating lol. So long as it goes eventually. 

@Ken_Griffiths - I only added it to the new household (at the Sonos guys request), in order to get it off my main household list. It added as normal and then just showed up as the only speaker, so then the guy said just to factory re-set it again and re-set the app, then log in as normal….

He seemed to think after the re-setting it should go from my app ‘room’ list so he ended the call with me.

Didn’t work anyhow 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths 😀

The OCD tendencies in me make this frustrating lol. So long as it goes eventually. 

Yes as an OCD trainee myself, I understand.😀 - A network reboot should work for you too, so try that to get rid of it sooner.

@Ken_Griffiths  - yes will try re-booting the router later on when I’ve finished work. If it’s still there then I will just have to leave it go of it’s own accord lol.

If the Roam added and was working okay in the newly created Sonos Household. It should add and work in your original system HH too… you might just have needed a full network reboot of the local router.

edit: ah I now see you mention it didn’t work in the new HH.👍

Note: Sonos non-portable devices will disappear from the HH when they are added to a new HH, but Sonos portable devices behave differently - they stay there for 72 hours because people take them out and about and may add them temporarily to other networks/households, but as mentioned a network reboot will get them to disappear sooner. HTH.

@Ken_Griffiths - that makes sense as to why it still shows then even when I did all that faffing about.

I will do the network re-boot but not worry too much if it’s still there. Hopefully by the end of the week, it will have gone as I will have sent the physical speaker back by then too. 

@Ken_Griffiths - that makes sense as to why it still shows then even when I did all that faffing about.

I will do the network re-boot but not worry too much if it’s still there. Hopefully by the end of the week, it will have gone as I will have sent the physical speaker back by then too. 

I am a little surprised that the Support Staff didn’t get you to do a full network reboot during the troubleshooting with your Roam, as it might perhaps have been a duplicate IP/addressing issue that was causing the Roam to show offline, but perhaps the diagnostic report showed there was some other issue. Anyhow I hope all proves to be well with your replacement speaker.

Couple of points:

Registering the Roam to a different account simply moves it off your main Sonos account. It sounds like the support tech was mistaken on that issue.

A router reboot will have no effect. Restarting all the Sonos devices might exorcise the Roam’s ghost, since they’re the ones with the residual image, but I’d just leave it to go away on its own.

@ratty - fair enough.

Think I will just leave it go away on it’s own and I have loads of other speakers and cannot be bothered to restart them all lol.

I’m happy to report that as of today, the soon to be returned Roam (currently on route via UPS), is now off my system.

I’m happy that it looks so much tidier on the app now, without the ‘Offline’ item in the system list.