Question

network speed insufficient

keep getting the message "network speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer" when i play music from library on pc, internet radio works fine

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ben,

That error message means that it took too long to get the audio Sonos was trying to play, in this case, from your computer. If that computer is wireless, it might be a problem with the strength of the connection. I'd suggest wiring the computer to the network or to the back of one of your Sonos components if you can.

Can you please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number next time this happens?

Thanks
I get this only when playing Apple Music
Can you please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number next time this happens?
The diagnostic number is 6762774. Thx
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The diagnostic number is 6762774. Thx

Hi Mqposch,

In your diagnostic I see wireless interference which is probably the cause of the error. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Try all 3 channels available and let me know if you're still seeing that error.
I'm having the same message sent to me but when I play from Spotify. Diagnostic number is 6860564
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm having the same message sent to me but when I play from Spotify. Diagnostic number is 6860564

Hi T. Stout,

There's wireless communication errors showing up between your Sonos components. Please make sure your BOOSTs are not too close to any other wireless devices, including your router or wireless access points.

It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
Hi, I am having the same issue. But only one of my speakers. Also, only with streaming music.

One of my Play 1s, on the second floor of our home is giving me this message for Apple and Amazon music. But not music playing from my music library. I have changed to different channels and unplugged this play 1 and still same issue. I have tested steaming music on other speakers in our home with no issue.

Just started happening today. Speaker has worked fine for about 6 months.

Diagnostic is 6980350
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I am having the same issue. But only one of my speakers. Also, only with streaming music.

One of my Play 1s, on the second floor of our home is giving me this message for Apple and Amazon music. But not music playing from my music library. I have changed to different channels and unplugged this play 1 and still same issue. I have tested steaming music on other speakers in our home with no issue.

Just started happening today. Speaker has worked fine for about 6 months.

Diagnostic is 6980350

There are a lot of wireless communication errors between your Sonos components, primarily the Portable and Office units. Do you have any third party wireless devices near those units? Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and wireless TVs. Try moving any similar device away from your Sonos units or power them off temporarily and see if things improve.

It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.
Hi Jeff,

On your suggestion to make sure the boost isn't too near the router; isn't it designed to connect to the router and comes with a short cable? Am I missing something? I've swapped to a standard setup (no ideal because sonos speakers are a fair distance apart) but still getting same error. Will head into town and buy a longer ethernet cable for the boost this afternoon.

Rob
Hi I get the same with our 2 play1 units but not the play 5. I've tried all 3 wireless channels and it still has buffering errors. This is with Spotify streaming and downloads and also tune in

Diagnostic no is 7233261
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Can you fix your wifi channel to channel 6. The PLAY:1s show that they are almost out of reach of the wifi connection, this is either a distance issue or wireless interference. If it's a distance issue, try to switch over to the Sonosnet by wiring the PLAY:5 to the network.