Question

Sonos Amp Repair

• 27 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Does anyone know of a repair shop anywhere in the United States of America that will repair a Sonos amp? I think its pretty crappy that Sonos will refurb and trade out hardware under warranty, but after 12 measly months you are simply done. If I would have known that I probably wouldn’t have invested a small fortune in my system. But here we are... 

Thanks community. And no thanks to you, Sonos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

It’s a difficult subject, and there is (if the situation here in the UK is anything to go by) no simple solution.

One issue is that, because of the way that tech devices are made these days - to fit so many functions into a small space - replacement of some of the components can be very difficult. For example, the main processor is likely to have 250+ pins on a soldered-down surface-mount device, with a fraction of a millimetre between each pin. Devices like this are difficult and time-consuming to rework.

As a result, few people want to repair, because there is so much uncertainty about whether repair will be economically viable. Repair shops much prefer to work with older electronic devices where there is space around each device to allow you to work.

So, while there are definitely electronic repair shops around, many will be non-commital without knowing with some certainty where the problem lies. As an amateur, I’ve repaired a lot of electronic equipment over the years and I guess I have around a 60% success rate. That’s Ok if you’re just doing it for yourself - it would be unacceptable as a business!