Answered

Downgrade Sonos Port from S2 to S1

Show first post

66 replies

MikMak, not sure if you already had S2 installed or not. I did not, and when I tried to download it from the app store, it told me my iOS was too old for the current version and instead it notified me that it was downloading an older version of Sonos S2 automatically, which worked great.  

MikMak, not sure if you already had S2 installed or not. I did not, and when I tried to download it from the app store, it told me my iOS was too old for the current version and instead it notified me that it was downloading an older version of Sonos S2 automatically, which worked great.  

I didn’t have it installed on that device with IOS 15.8.2 - and the S2 now claims it won’t install on anything less than 16.0 in my region anyway.

So to be clear SONOS, there is absolutely no way to downgrade from S2 to S1 on ANY device now.  Can a Support tech direct connect to downgrade?

So to be clear SONOS, there is absolutely no way to downgrade from S2 to S1 on ANY device now.  Can a Support tech direct connect to downgrade?

Short answer is No - If there is a method, I would love to hear about it .)

Badge

Sigh.

I have seen posts here on using an app cache service to pick up the v16 app but I have no idea how it will work or how trustworthy  the site is,

Installing an older version of the app using the app mirror service you trust is no problem. The problem is that older apps were programmed to ask for app update during the downgrade process and therefore installing an old app results in having to upgrade app before downgrading device.

Maestros!

Exactly - so this answer is still No :)

Badge

Exactly - so this answer is still No :)

On the phone, Sonos support confirmed to me that this is on roadmap of the new "Sonos" app without official release date.

Thank you AlanSanDiego - I found an old iPhone 7, did a factory reset, found the new “Sonos” app on the Apple App Store, and it was unable to download the “Sonos” app v80 (the iPhone 7 being before iOS16 which is required for the latest version) and instead downloaded the old “Sonos S2” app.  The S2 app immediately showed the downgrade option as per the Sonos help screens.  I now have a second-hand Play:1 working on my S1 system.   Having been very, very grumpy with Sonos for a few hours (well I still am actually) I’m very grateful to those who have used this forum and have helped me sort this.

Thank you AlanSanDiego - I found an old iPhone 7, did a factory reset, found the new “Sonos” app on the Apple App Store, and it was unable to download the “Sonos” app v80 (the iPhone 7 being before iOS16 which is required for the latest version) and instead downloaded the old “Sonos S2” app.  The S2 app immediately showed the downgrade option as per the Sonos help screens.  I now have a second-hand Play:1 working on my S1 system.   Having been very, very grumpy with Sonos for a few hours (well I still am actually) I’m very grateful to those who have used this forum and have helped me sort this.

Thank you for this. I was so close to returning refurb units that look practically new. It was on S2 and it just happened that I just upgraded my father in laws phone from the 7 this week and had it as a backup phone. I can confirm that the steps above work and was successfully able to downgrade. 

Hello,

Very helpful topic and thanks to the following link, I managed to install 16.1 version of Sonos.

https://github.com/qnblackcat/How-to-Downgrade-apps-on-AppStore-with-iTunes-and-Charles-Proxy?tab=readme-ov-file

The downgrade from S2 to S1 works flawlessly on an iPhone 7 since the app itself cannot update (I guess it is linked to iOS version; in my case I just did a factory reset and download automatically iOS 15.8.2).

The Sonos app on an iPhone 8 always try to update so downgrade not possible.

Again thanks for the help here, good luck for your iPhone 7 quest, and thumbs down for Sonos who does not respect their customers acting like this!

Userlevel 1

For members who need to rollback from an S2 to an S1 controller, I managed to downgrade the S2 controller on my Gen 1 sub to S1 by using an old Ipad Mini running on IOS15.8.2. Download the newest Sonos App from the App Store and due to hardware incompatibility, it will download the old S2 app to the Ipad. Will also work on an Iphone 7 or older. Voila, rollback completed. Cheers!

The trick with the old Iphone on 15.8.2 doesn’t work in EU (Denmark anyway) - it just throws an error message when trying to install, saying the Sonos S2 requires IOS 16….. :( 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It works for me in the EU as long as I use an Apple ID that has downloaded the App in the past (any download attempt with an Apple ID that has not, fails as you describe).

Userlevel 1
Badge

correct me if i am wrong , but this thread seems to have converted into talking about downgrading the app to the old version and NOT  downgrading a product from S2  to the old S1  working system ,

i too have products that i want to revert to using the stable s1 system and then i  can completely ignore the wast of space s2 system ,

when when when will they re introduce the downgrade option for older products then we can the use them without tearing our hair out on a system that actually works !!!

correct me if i am wrong , but this thread seems to have converted into talking about downgrading the app to the old version and NOT  downgrading a product from S2  to the old S1  working system ,

i too have products that i want to revert to using the stable s1 system and then i  can completely ignore the wast of space s2 system ,

when when when will they re introduce the downgrade option for older products then we can the use them without tearing our hair out on a system that actually works !!!

DT2: The thread is now talking about downgrading to the Sonos S2 app, but only because that is a simple route to downgrading an S2 speaker to an S1 speaker.  That facility was recently “temporarily” removed by Sonos from their most recent app, thus the current search for ways to access the older “Sonos S2” version of the app (as opposed to “Sonos”) which still does this.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

I never upgraded to the new app , and the  old s2 app won’t allow downgrade since this whole car crash of an update started at the beginning of may , just have to wait for them to re allow us to downgrade to s1 , it’s appalling what has been done to customers