Will Sonos produce an actually WHITE Play:5 Gen 2?

• 3 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Now that AirPlay 2 is available, we're slowly going through the process of upgrading our Play:1 speakers to Ones (well, except for those being used as surrounds - because, well you know, speaker stands). Anyway, the interior of our house is predominantly white, and so most of our Sonos components are white too.

The Play:1 has a white case, but a nice complementary silver speaker grille, while the One is all white, which is nice too.

We have a number of Play:5 Gen 1s as well, which also have a white case and a silver grille.

Eventually we'd like to upgrade those too...however, lets face it Sonos, the white ones really aren't white are they - they're black with a tiny bit of white trim, because when you look at them from the front or even slightly side on, what is most visible is that big black grille.

So, as the title asks, will Sonos produce an actually WHITE Play:5 Gen 2? Or will we have to wait for the Gen 3 (Sonos Two?), which I suppose will also have a microphone so that we will eventually be able to Alexa, Siri and Google for voice control?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are several companies offering services to get your gear any color you desire, and patterns and logos too. https://www.coloryoursound.com/ and http://www.colorware.com/categories.aspx are two I found with a quick search, I am sure there are many others.
I think controlav's covers might be your best option. Since the gen:2 has been out for awhile now, I doubt they are going to make an adjustment to it at this point now. And Sonos typically doesn't give much advanced notice on feature changes like that, so I wouldn't expect an answer on something they haven't already announced.

That said, I would think it's safe to assume that the hypothetical replacement product for the Play:5 would have a pure white option, since the last 2 new products, the Sonos One and the Beam, did.

Also, Sonos has not stated that they have any plans to have direct integration with Siri voice services. I'm sure it's something they want to have, but there is no existing or announced future integration the way there is with Alexa and Google.