Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Related products: Hardware News
Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

We’re happy to introduce you all to Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker built to deliver great sound at home and on any adventure. Fully connected to your Sonos system on WiFi at home and automatically switching to Bluetooth when you’re on the go, Roam’s powerful, adaptable sound defies expectations for a speaker of its size. Effortless set-up and control and new smart features make it easier than ever to enjoy music and more from anywhere. Weighing less than a pound (450g), Roam’s elegant yet durable design is perfect for your home, the backyard, and wherever you go.

Get to know Sonos Roam

A simultaneous connection to both WiFi and Bluetooth makes streaming wherever you are seamless. When you’re listening at home Roam connects to your system and streams on WiFi, and when you leave it intuitively switches to Bluetooth and automatically re-pairs with your mobile device.

With an all-new feature called Sound Swap, you can hold the play/pause button on the speaker to switch the music to the nearest speaker on your system, making it easy to move music from room-to-room.

Sonos Roam (left) and Sonos Move (right)

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth. Roam works with more than 100 streaming services, including Sonos Radio, and is easily controlled with the Sonos app, your voice with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, Apple AirPlay 2, or directly from your favorite music service app.

Roam was created to deliver an incredible sound experience no matter where you are. Like all Sonos products, Roam was tuned by industry leaders across music and film to ensure the speaker reproduces content exactly how the creator intended. A carefully designed acoustic architecture delivers rich, detailed sound with the clarity, depth, and fullness you’d expect from a larger speaker.

Automatic Trueplay is now available when streaming via Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi, and means Roam is always tuned for the best listening experience in any environment.

Available in shadow black or lunar white, Roam’s tactile triangular shape and soft profile is comfortable to pick up and looks great inside the home. Combining elegance and durability, Roam is dust proof and fully waterproof with a rigorously tested IP67 rating, and features silicone end caps and physical buttons to protect against drops or bumps.

Roam is ready for any adventure with up to 10 hours of continuous playback on a single charge and up to 10 days of battery life when not in use.

To recharge, Roam connects to a custom magnetic wireless charger from Sonos sold separately, any Qi wireless charger, or with the USB-C cable included in the box.

Sonos Roam

Roam’s compact size will fit into any bag or the smallest corner of your living space. Listeners can place Roam vertically for a smaller footprint or horizontally to provide added stability on uneven surfaces outdoors. Even the packaging leaves a light footprint, with a structure that is made of 100% sustainably-sourced paper, minimizes the use of inks, and includes no single-use plastics. 

Roam is available starting April 20 for $169, €179, £159, NOK1799, SEK1999, DKK1349. You can pre-order today on sonos.com.

Why oh why did you not replicate the same bluetooth as the Move??

I own 12 sonos products… flawless…

The Roam is garbage.  Rushed for Christmas I assume. 

huge fail. 

déçu des nouveau produit sonos la roam ne tiens pas plus 1H30, le SAV trouve toutes les excuses du monde, un coup chargeur, un coup réseau mais jamais un problème de matériel c est décevant !!!!!!! l’ancienne génération était bien meilleurs!!!  c’est de la M……maintenant

déçu des nouveau produit sonos la roam ne tiens pas plus 1H30, le SAV trouve toutes les excuses du monde, un coup chargeur, un coup réseau mais jamais un problème de matériel c est décevant !!!!!!! l’ancienne génération était bien meilleurs!!!  c’est de la M……maintenant

J'ai deux Roams ici et ils jouent tous les deux pendant plus de 10 heures à partir d'une seule charge - il est fort probable que votre chargeur USB-C ne soit pas tout à fait à la hauteur - assurez-vous que sa puissance de sortie est dans la région de 10-15 watts (quelque part entre 5v x  2A et 5v x3A).. il faut environ 2h30 au chargeur pour charger complètement les appareils à partir d'un état vide.  Il vaut également la peine d'utiliser la fonction "Battery Saver" de Roam dans les paramètres de l'application Sonos.  J'espère que ces choses aident.

Hi All 

Just got my Roam , silly question maybe....…

So if you just want the Roam playing in the Kitchen not with the Beam in the Lounge how do you manage this ?, I cannot seem to disconnect the sound from the Beam as well !! 😲

Hi All 

Just got my Roam , silly question maybe....…

So if you just want the Roam playing in the Kitchen not with the Beam in the Lounge how do you manage this ?, I cannot seem to disconnect the sound from the Beam as well !! 😲

Just ungroup the two rooms, Roam & Beam, using the S2 App - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391

Thanks Ken 

Do you need to do this each time  Group / ungroup ?

Cheers 

Wayne

Thanks Ken 

Do you need to do this each time  Group / ungroup ?

Cheers 

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
There are ways to do Room grouping/ungrouping with the speaker play/pause button or the Alexa voice assistant and Alexa enabled groups. Just as a starter, see these 4 links:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4830

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514

Hi Ken 

Many thanks for the links , is there an actual ' how many taps on play / pause ' to group ungroup guide if that makes sense !?!

I can get Roam to play in both rooms but struggle to single them out...…

Seems to be hold near another Sonos playing and wait for 3rd tone to change, .....

Many thanks 

Wayne

Here’s a video on Sonos room-grouping (using the App) which you may perhaps find helpful…

https://youtu.be/kmv-l-MXhrw

And here is a video showing how room-grouping works without the App using the Play/Pause button…

https://youtu.be/kXk58C-yj2w

You simply press the Play/Pause button again to cycle through the ‘playing’ Sonos rooms.

Hope that assists. 

Thanks Ken 

Its all trial and error ATM sure it will work out over time , just thought it may of been easier to not use the app as much to change rooms ?

Cheers

Thanks Ken 

Its all trial and error ATM sure it will work out over time , just thought it may of been easier to not use the app as much to change rooms ?

I’ve used Sonos products for quite some years and so I’m perhaps now used to how the button/system & grouping works. I don’t find it difficult nowadays, but I guess there is a ‘knack’ to the way that some things work and it may take a short while before some users get used to using the system.

I just do these things now without even thinking too much about them. They have become second-nature. Hopefully you will go onto find such things easier too, the more you use the system.

True Ken , i have the Beam and surround speakers which are great , the app is easy really so its not a problem , so no worries to have them playing in different rooms .How do you find the Roam when away from wifi ?

True Ken , i have the Beam and surround speakers which are great , the app is easy really so its not a problem , so no worries to have them playing in different rooms .How do you find the Roam when away from wifi ?

The Wife and I have a camper van and we travel around the U.K. from time to time (when the weather permits and the previous Covid restrictions have allowed) …and in that situation I sometimes either use a mobile WiFi (see link):

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-2101-5g-wifi-6-mobile-hotspot

Or we may use Bluetooth, with the Roam connected to an iPad, or iPhone - again we’ve not had any issues with either setup. I use the Amazon Music streaming service mostly and also keep a few playlists/tracks stored on our mobile devices. 

Good to know , we normally holiday in rural  Norfolk/ Suffolk so always like some music with us , have a Bose Mini (which is getting old now) so hopefully the Roam is a good replacement and will keep playing .....

this is really good product, 

About how far from the Sonos central control unit can the Roam or Roam DL be placed?

About how far from the Sonos central control unit can the Roam or Roam DL be placed?

Too many variables to be able to give a definite answer.

My Sonos setup is on WiFi as opposed to SonosNet and I have used my Roam and Move easily at about 20 Metres from the closest mesh WiFi point (Google WiFi)

you can also use Bluetooth if range is too far

I can get Roam to play in both rooms but struggle to single them out...…

mobdro

MyFiosGateway Verizon

I can get Roam to play in both rooms but struggle to single them out...

Do you mean that you’re not sure how to group/ungroup your two devices? If so, then see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391