Sonos One Alexa not responding when music is playing

• 25 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Purchased my second sonos 1 in December, and noticed sometimes when music is playing, Alexa will not respond to me! The volume of the music is never too loud and the mic is enabled, if I stop playback via the Sonos app,  Alexa then begins to respond again. I do it and never had this issue with my other Sonos 1 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Joeski23,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for describing the issue. We appreciate you for letting us know what you have done so far.

I’d like to ask a few questions to help you out with this.

• How far is your Sonos One from the router?
  • Have you tried moving it closer to the router? How did Alexa respond? 
  • Have you tried rebooting your router and your Sonos devices?

To further assist you with your concern, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.    

Hi, 

thanks for your reply. 
My router is fairly close and I have a mesh system that is massively overkill for the size of my house. Also my other sonos 1 was in the same place this one now is for 2 years with no issues. ( wife wanted a white one instead of black) It’s very intermittent. And as soon as i stop the music play back via the sonos app, Alexa works again. 
thanks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Joeski23,

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Please continue to monitor your Sonos One and once you have encountered the issue, kindly submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Also, the suggested setup for Mesh Networks is Sonosnet, this prevents the Sonos players from jumping from 1 access point to another. In a wired setup, at least one of your Sonos products will stay wired to the router with an Ethernet cable to create a dedicated wireless network specifically for your Sonos system. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. 

Yes I have one of my units hardwired to the router. Again last night same issue radio playing  no response from Alexa. As soon as I stop playback via the sonos app, Alexa works again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Joeski23, thanks for updating us. Sorry to know that Alexa is not behaving as it’s expected on your Sonos One. To further help you with this, I recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device to further look into this. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.