Sonos/Echo Amazon music not playing - Unsupported format

• 13 October 2017
  • 15 replies

My wife tried to play the Man from Uncle Soundtrack via Echo integration with Sonos. It appears to have kicked off correctly since when I go into the Sonos app it pops up the the message that is attached.

Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I have the same situation also. Music will play for a while and then all of a sudden stop. When I look in the Sonos app on my phone, I see the unsupported format message. Not happy to see not a single reply after a year from the original post. Other searches haven't turned up much either.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I’m getting this exact same issue as well. At first I thought it was sonos, but I’m beginning to think it’s amazon. I’m seeing this same behaviour on my echos as well. Amazon music was great up until like Friday night, then this BS started. My Apple Music works flawlessly in the house. I’d say contact amazon, I’ve sent a few emails to them already, heard nothing back yet. Freaking annoying,
I agree with your observation. It's only when I ask Alexa to play something, it plays for a while but then it stops suddenly at which point I see the "unsupported format" message in the Sonos app. I have not had it happen when using the Sonos app to play from a music service. It strange in that it plays then it stops, you would think if it's a firewall or network issue, it wouldn't play at all. I'm going to do more testing and I will post my observations if I find anything meaningful.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
And the issue is random...for stretches it works fine, then other times, nope.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This is the kind of errors I’m seeing...
I have been having nothing bit issues lately. Thought we got it all fix then the same message is happening to me as well with amazon music......
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Well I’m glad to see I’m not the only one...:$

Still heard nothing from Amazon..
I’m also getting this problem now; started two days ago. Anyone found an answer?
Badge +1
Same problem here. Using Sonos One with Amazon Music in Canada. It started 2 days ago too.
Same problem here. Using Sonos One with Amazon Music in Canada. It started 2 days ago too.

I sent an email to Amazon via the Alexa app - will post ant reply I get. My wifi is fibre optics connection and all other video and audio streaming work fine so most likely an Amazon issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I finally got a canned email back from Amazon, blah blah "I am sorry to hear that you have trouble to play Unlimited Music on your Alexa properly. I am here to help you with this.
Please be informed that this usually does not happen. However, it seems there is some technical error causing this.
There is no need to concern about it. To resolve this issue at the earliest, we need to perform some Advance Troubleshooting which can be possible only via Call or Chat."

Tried to chat several time but just waited and waited. I plan on trying again. but this is clearly an Amazon issue. I play songs on my Echos and watch the Alexa app and it also skips song with errors (not as specific as the above ones, they look like this:

I have a couple of friends who are also seeing this with amazon music as well.

I'd suggest we all start contacting them:

We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you with this.​
By phone: https://www.amazon.ca/clicktocall
If you prefer to chat with one of our customer service representatives, please reach out to us through the link below:
https://www.amazon.ca/clicktochat-alexachatsupport

If I do get connected I'll post what I hear.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
FWIW...I spent about 90 mins on chat with Amazon support this evening....did a variety of things,

In the end he says to me 'oh, I've been made aware that others here are also dealing with others with this same issue, we are working on the issue now'

Shame we wasted this time. I sent screenshots of errors and said from the outside it looks like a server side issue. And it appears it is.
Badge +1
FWIW...I spent about 90 mins on chat with Amazon support this evening....did a variety of things,

In the end he says to me 'oh, I've been made aware that others here are also dealing with others with this same issue, we are working on the issue now'

Shame we wasted this time. I sent screenshots of errors and said from the outside it looks like a server side issue. And it appears it is.

It’s actually helpful to know they are doing something. Thanks for reporting! Also, this is a reminder of why we should own the music we love. These music services are only that: a service. When they stop working, no more music!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I kept my huge collection of vinyl..even my old cassettes and 8 tracks. But the convenience of just asking for any song I want is pretty nice..:D

When I’m feeling nostalgic I’ll blow the dust off a record...
I starting having the same issue yesterday. If I request a song from my echo, it plays. If I request the same music from Alexa via my Sonos one, I get an error. The day before it worked perfectly then boom, it doesn’t work.