Sleep Sounds Skill not working?

• 3 December 2017
  • 20 replies

Hello,
I wanted to start the skill with "Alexa, ask Sleep Sounds for thunderstorms" but plays nothing.

Does not that work on Sonos One?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
As of now a lot of third party audio skills do not work. I was told there should be a fix in January, but, I am unsure just what affected skills will be fixed. Here is hoping its most / all of them.
any update on this? I've been just using my sonos one for music until today when i tried adding new skills and none seem to work.. specifically ambient sounds/rain sounds skill and headspace/ mediation skills
Badge
I completey agree with the above. Bought today sonos one, my 6th sonos device. None of the skills work. Will be switching back to my google home. Very disapointing
Badge
Feels like ive wasted alot of money today
I have two Sonos One. Want to get one or two more for the bedrooms. Want to replace the fan. This is a little known but sleep sounds/ ambient is an essential feature -- especially for bedroom usage. Jan 17 from Nick Schwab Founder, Invoked Apps LLC
"I feel your pain. To our surprise, Sonos launched their Alexa-enabled speakers without support for long-form audio playback Skills. We've been in touch with the Sonos team and they've assured us that they're working to add support for our Skills (and many others) by the end of Q1.Thanks for your patience as Sonos works to bring their software up-to-date and compatible with more Alexa Skills."

So Sonos... support long-form audio playback! Pleeease... Thanks
Some communication from Sonos would be nice on this. Sonos One is billed as a replacement for an Echo, but without support for key categories of skills, that's a straight up lie.

Without a firm commitment to supporting skills, we've been sold an incomplete product, and I'll likely return it if Sonos doesn't commit to a fix timeline.
Really could use these skills. We bought a One to put in our newborn's room (you know, with ALL that extra cash you have as new parents) specifically for the sleep aid skills and boom...a big fat silence erupts from the One.

I've read in other feeds that these skills work if one tells, say an Echo or a DOT to "play Thunderstorms in ", but if you ask the One to do it, you get an acknowledgement beep and nothing. What the...??

What's the deal Sonos? This thread has been on the go for 2 months now and no news here from you guys. Timeline please? At least acknowledge us with some response??
Same issue with the Sleep Sounds and nj101.5 skill. Both work fine on amazon DOT and ECHO but do not work on my SONOS ONE player. Will there be an update to address the problem?
Sonos Folks - Love your stuff, but would really like an ETA on this.
Bump. Just got myself a Sonos One to replace my Echo Dot + Bose speaker combo, but I desperately need audio apps. Help us Sonos, you’re our only hope.
Sonos friends - I just realized that I was totally over thinking my problem. I bought a 99 cent white noise "song" from the play store and voila, white noise via Sonos. While it still stinks I can't say "Alexa play white noise" (and I'd still like to see that) it still helps my 3 month old sleep in the immediate term. Just figured there might be some other over thinkers in the Sonos community and wanted to share the wealth. 😃
Hello Sonos? Do you have an estimated time frame on when your expensive but great speaker with Alexa will be a fully functioning “Alexa” and will work with third party skills?
Any update from Sonos? Just bought my sonos one yesterday. So disappointed to find that the ambient noise skill did not work. I had learned about it from a friend with Echo. I was told that no Echo was needed if I had the One. I feel cheated. That was a primary reason for buying 😞 It seems like the best solution is to return the One, and buy an Echo - and use Alexa’s Sonos skill to use the ambient noise feature and long-form audio apps.
:? When are they going to fix Sonos One to be able to play sound skills (ambient rain, etc.)?
Bump. C’mon Sonos, a little help please...
It actually does work sometimes for me if you say something like Play X in Y
HERE HERE!! I bought two at once because I figured-Sonos! This will be great! What a Joke!! Believe it or not one of the main things I wanted to use with it was Sleep sounds and the stupid things can't do that!! Is anyone working on tech support with these stupid things??? Wasn't Google home support also promised with these? What crap. I'll never buy another Sonos product. I bought these in DECEMBER.
If you have spotify you can just make it play sleep sounds from spotify and it works great. It is a shame that pretty much none of Alexa skills work however. I contacted Amazon and they told me that if I get an actual Amazon device and pair it with Sonos, it is going to work, but even that was a little vague and not clear. But if I get another device, it would render Sonos voice functionalities & microphones useless. I am going to contact Sonos to find out more about this.
So I see this thread has been going on for awhile with no response from Sonos. C'mon Sonos, throw us a bone on something.

Does Sonos have some kind of contractual agreement with Amazon where they cannot come to the same level of the Amazon products themselves?
Reading this article makes me think, there are some pretty serious business dealings going on in the background between customers (Sonos) and Mama Amazon and it does not give me a warm fuzzy with my Sonos products.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sonos-ipo-filing-warns-amazon-can-disable-alexa-from-smart-speakers-2018-7
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

There are a couple Sleep Sounds options working with Alexa on Sonos systems. You can use the Ocean and Rainforest options. This thread goes into more detail on the supported skills.